PDA

View Full Version : What's in your opinion the best free web hosting for WordPress blogging?

El Potro
February 8th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hello guys, I need help with this.

I want to set up a WordPress blog on my already registered .com.ar domain, but I'd like to start with a free hosting.

I was reading on the internet quite many hours actually, but I didn't find a reliable source on this topic.

I know you guys won't be saying bs or trying to advertise, so if any of is using a free web hosting, I'd like to know which one, and what's your opinion about it.

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your experiences.

haqking
February 8th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hello guys, I need help with this.

I want to set up a WordPress blog on my already registered .com.ar domain, but I'd like to start with a free hosting.

I was reading on the internet quite many hours actually, but I didn't find a reliable source on this topic.

I know you guys won't be saying bs or trying to advertise, so if any of is using a free web hosting, I'd like to know which one, and what's your opinion about it.

Thank you very much in advance for sharing your experiences.

why not just pay wordpress for your domain ?

CharlesA
February 8th, 2012, 06:22 PM
That was my first thought.

I tried free hosting, but it was more of a pain than not (only ftp access, no cPanel or anything). Then I found a cheap hosting plan and I'm sticking with it for now.

El Potro
February 8th, 2012, 06:33 PM

I don't want to pay to wordpress. In that case I would prefer to buy a good non-free hosting. Wordpress asks money for two things, point to your domain, and charges you even more to let you have extra functionalities, some of which are pretty basic.

So the only way I can do this, is on a regular (free or non-free) web hosting (if I want to personalize it completely, add Google analytics, adds, wordpress plugins, and much more).

I tried free hosting, but it was more of a pain than not (only ftp access, no cPanel or anything).

Would you please tell me which one(s)? So that I avoid that/those particular hosting provider(s). What kind of problems did you have?

I know that In the long term I'll end up paying for it. But I'd like to avoid it while I learn more about blogging and get started.

CharlesA
February 8th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Would you please tell me which one(s)? So that I avoid that/those particular hosting provider(s). What kind of problems did you have?

I know that In the long term I'll end up paying for it. But I'd like to avoid it while I learn more about blogging and get started.

The free one I tried was with 110MB hosting (110mb.com), and it was rather limited on what you could do. It would work fine for small sites, but their ToU state that you need to have an ad in the footer of your web page, and they gave you some (terribad) code to use for that.

I am using JustHost now, since I was able to get a decent package for like $2.50 a month and you can pay for ssh access as well, which has saved my butt a few times.

darkdawn
February 8th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I used this free hosting service :
http://x10hosting.com/

but from what i know, it uses its own domain, and ur website will be something like ___.x10.mx , but its as good as it gets for free hosting, and you get no ads on your website, with cpanel and php support.

maybe its something you may consider, but you can wait to see what others have to say, maybe they know something better.

Dry Lips
February 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
If I were you I'd head over to the friendly guys at http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/
I bet you'll get sorted out in no time.

CharlesA
February 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I used this free hosting service :
http://x10hosting.com/

but from what i know, it uses its own domain, and ur website will be something like ___.x10.mx , but its as good as it gets for free hosting.

maybe its something you may consider, but you can wait to see what others have to say, maybe they know something better.
That was how it was at 110mb as well. Most free ones are probably the same.. and I didn't really like that, since I had my own domain name, I figured that I might as well have my own hosting too.

El Potro
February 8th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Thank you everybody.

I was looking at www.000webhost.com, which apparently supports registered domains and has been here for a long time.

Contras: It is said that accounts are usually closed without a reason, with no chance of getting the data back.

I'll be checking http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/ because all the free alternatives I know seem to be despotic.

Dry Lips
February 8th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Thank you everybody.

I was looking at www.000webhost.com (http://www.000webhost.com), which apparently supports registered domains and has been here for a long time.

Contras: It is said that accounts are usually closed without a reason, with no chance of getting the data back.

I'll be checking http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/ because all the free alternatives I know seem to be despotic.
I would strongly advice you to avoid 000webhost. I've heard about people getting their accounts terminated simply because they uploaded forum software to their account.

haqking
February 8th, 2012, 10:50 PM
I don't want to pay to wordpress. In that case I would prefer to buy a good non-free hosting. Wordpress asks money for two things, point to your domain, and charges you even more to let you have extra functionalities, some of which are pretty basic.

So the only way I can do this, is on a regular (free or non-free) web hosting (if I want to personalize it completely, add Google analytics, adds, wordpress plugins, and much more).

fair enough. I just paid the £99 and was done with it. seemed the least painful for the rubbish i post on it ;-)

I have so many domains and hosting ive lost track now....lol

HansKisaragi
February 8th, 2012, 11:08 PM
wordpress.com is the best wordpress host.

99$ per year to unlock all premium stuff and to get more space and custom domain.

or you can buy premium stuff separate.

jamstir
February 8th, 2012, 11:44 PM
Yea wordpress , great for blog.. someone asked me.. wordpress or Joomla,, i thought.. why not have both.

As for host.. check out bluehost, they use wordpress and its very cheap for the year.

At the minute am setting this machine up as my own server, which leads me to a Q.... Anyone find or know the were abouts of a great php corder?? i looking for something thats got a preview window. All i can find that does this so far is only for windows.