PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] gdm problem on hp mini

mgermaine8
February 8th, 2012, 04:04 PM
I accidently removed gdm, and since I reinstalled it, it fails to start with the message "There already appears to be an X server running on display :0.....". No combination of /etc/init.d/gdm restart or startx fixes this. After a fresh reboot, I did a ps and found two gdm's running. Here is the output:

4542 /usr/sbin/gdm
4549 /usr/bin/X
4853 /usr/sbin/gdm
4856 /sbin/dhclient
4917 /usr/lib/gdm/gdmopen

If I kill -2 either of the gdm's, the window manager still does not start, and I can't even get back to my F1 console. I also tried dpkg-reconfigure gdm to no avail. Can anyone tell me how to fix my configuration?

searchfgold6789
February 8th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Try a
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorgtoo...

mgermaine8
February 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM
Unfortunately that didn't help. So gdm starts up, kicks of X, then a second later it starts again and fails because X is already running. There must be a file somewhere that is starting gdm one time too many. Any ideas?

mgermaine8
February 9th, 2012, 05:23 PM
I found out that if I kill off gdmopen, the second gdm, X11, and then the first gdm, in that order, I can then do an /etc/init.d gdm start, and I get all four processes back again: gdm, X11, gdm, gdmopen. And the error about the x server already running pops up as well. Does that mean that gdm starts the x server, and then the xserver starts gdm? Could this be a misconfiguration of X rather than gdm?

mgermaine8
February 10th, 2012, 11:01 PM
I just reinstalled the operating system, and that took care of it.