PDA

View Full Version : recording terabytes per second hundreds of times faster

sdowney717
February 8th, 2012, 12:32 PM
The spinning platter drive will get new life now. Versus the solid state drive.

"Instead of using a magnetic field to record information on a magnetic medium, we harnessed much stronger internal forces and recorded information using only heat," says University of York physicist Thomas Ostler.

"This revolutionary method allows the recording of Terabytes (thousands of Gigabytes) of information per second, hundreds of times faster than present hard drive technology. As there is no need for a magnetic field, there is also less energy consumption." http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-features/61309-heat-based-recording-speeds-hard-drives

Grenage
February 8th, 2012, 12:40 PM
That's pretty interesting, although I'd be very surprised if this technology ever advanced further than the laboratories.

Paqman
February 8th, 2012, 12:45 PM
The spinning platter drive will get new life now. Versus the solid state drive.

I think by the time this would be getting to market that battle will be looooong over.

There's always a fair bit of hype around storage though. Where exactly are our massive holographic disks they were in a flap about a few years ago? Everyone had gone broke trying to bring them to market last I heard.

robsoles
February 8th, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking they are talking theoretically and haven't actually transferred a terabyte in a second :confused: