PDA

View Full Version : Meet the Rugged Trimble Yuma with UBUNTU

newbie2
February 8th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ready for Another Linux Tablet? Meet the Rugged Trimble Yuma

“Our customers have told us that they need a rugged, military-grade, tablet computer running Linux,” explained Todd Blumer, president of SDG Systems, in the company's press release.

http://zapp5.staticworld.net/images/article/2012/02/trimble20yuma-11294550.png
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/249454/ready_for_another_linux_tablet_meet_the_rugged_tri mble_yuma.html
:popcorn:

Paqman
February 8th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Seen the price tag though? Ouch!

newbie2
February 8th, 2012, 11:30 AM
yea... 'a little harsh' for my wallet :p :

Yuma is currently on sale for $3,695.
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Trimble-Yuma-a-rugged-Ubuntu-based-tablet-1429788.html

HansKisaragi
February 8th, 2012, 12:05 PM
That price is just ridicules. :(

You can get a 8core Mac pro or a Super high end Linux box for that kind of money.

Paqman
February 8th, 2012, 12:17 PM
That price is just ridicules. :(

You can get a 8core Mac pro or a Super high end Linux box for that kind of money.

Tbh it's about par for the course for ruggedised computers. Toughbooks go for even more. Which is why most places I've worked employers are happier for technicians to keep trashing laptops and just replace them than to fork out for Toughbooks that could survive the handling they get.

HansKisaragi
February 8th, 2012, 12:24 PM
You can buy pretty solid ruggedized tablet cases for 50 bucks.

Grenage
February 8th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Tbh it's about par for the course for ruggedised computers. Toughbooks go for even more. Which is why most places I've worked employers are happier for technicians to keep trashing laptops and just replace them than to fork out for Toughbooks that could survive the handling they get.

That's the way we do things here. As painful as it is to see the occasional tablet or other device smashed, it would cost us about four times as much to use rugged devices - and they aren't exactly guaranteed to survive.

Linuxratty
February 8th, 2012, 06:07 PM

Afraid to even look!

Gremlinzzz
February 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
If i'am ever wading thought a swamp it might come in handy:popcorn:

keithpeter
February 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
If i'am ever wading thought a swamp it might come in handy:popcorn:

If you are data logging in that swamp, you want an AlphaSmart neo in a very solid waterproof polythene bag. That's what they use when datalogging in the caldera of an active volcano (the sulphur corrodes laptop circuits). Journalists use them for 'off grid' areas, and they use the AlphaSmart Dana for reporting 'on grid'. Things are simpler when you are just dealing with text.

That Trimble looks delicious but is absurdly expensive. Still, its a start with Canonical getting on tablets.

You see old Toughbooks on ebay. Talking P2 and P3. They'd make really swish cli systems, if your arm muscles need a good workout (4Kg)