PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu not in linux.com

racoq
June 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
hello everybody.

I Weekly see reviews on the site www.linux.com. However i've realized that the ubuntu distribution isn't displayed in their Distribution Section.

i was inicializing my email client to email linux.com guys, when i've saw

"If you would like to see a distribution represented here that isn't, please contact the distribution project or vendor and tell them to submit their information to us."

Is Ubuntu too much popular, to submit info to one of the best resources on linux info, like linux.com, or haven't anyone ever thought about it?

Releases like madriva, red hat (desktop, or fedora), and Gentoo are there. is the Ubuntu less than that distros, or superior? :D

leave your opinion

IYY
June 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I don't like Linux.com; 90% of their ads are for Windows.

racoq
June 8th, 2006, 08:16 PM

However for linux begginer users when they think in linux and they want to know more about it, i bet that one of the first sites they will visit is linux.com.

So do the math, and see what propaganda this can bring to ubuntu.

And it is more cheaper propaganda than the shipit.

Rhapsody
June 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Really?

*Temporarily disables Adblock Plus*

Come on. Three refreshes and I only saw two ads obviously about Windows. Considering the front page has five ads on it (two out of fifteen, something like 12-13%) that's not too bad. Those ads are clearly slowing the page rendering though, so..

*Re-enables Adblock Plus*

So, no Ubuntu on there? Well that's not good. Although I'm hardly blown away by the site (it's Fedora Core not just Fedora, and you call yourselves Linux.com?) it's probably in the interests of Ubuntu that the OS be listed on as many sites as possible. Perhaps Canonical should send an e-mail their way?

bruce89
June 8th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I get at least one MS FUD advert, and 1 moan about "Get Firefox with Google toolbar", which is a bit odd, as my user agent has Firefox in it. Thank goodness for Ad Blocker in Epiphany!

greggh
June 8th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Joe Brockmeier, the editorial director of Linux.com, was just interviewed yesterday on The Linux Link Tech Show. He mentioned that Linux.com is working on a review of Dapper and it will be out soon. It's episode 143 and the interview starts at 21.00

http://tllts.org/

racoq
June 8th, 2006, 11:08 PM
hope they include dapper in the distributins section. It's strange that the best linux distro ever is not in their site, which by the way, despite all has been said here, i like. I think that it has good and interesting generic articles about linux.

greggh
June 9th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Linux.com just posted their Dapper review.

http://distrocenter.linux.com/distrocenter/06/06/08/1611229.shtml?tid=127&tid=96

Ready for the long haul?

Overall, I've found Ubuntu 6.06 LTS to be a solid operating system. It's easy to use, has a great selection of software available for new users and for developers and power user types, and generally "just works."

I also like the fact that Ubuntu, out of the box, is strictly open source software. You can grab non-free packages pretty easily if you want to, but the default install is free as in freedom and beer.

Dapper has a few flaws here and there, but it's a solid desktop OS that is fine for home and office use. The Ubuntu folks have committed to supporting Dapper for three years on the desktop, and five years on the server. I would definitely recommend Ubuntu to experienced and inexperienced Linux users alike.