PDA

View Full Version : Gmail alternative.......Canonical, Red Hat, Novell...

Slug71
February 8th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Anyone else wish there was Gmail alternative like Hushmail but given to us by Canonical or perhaps as a joint venture along with Novell and Red Hat and...
Something that respects our privacy and is safe and secure.

I think that would be awesome. Allow it to be set up with the default email client in the distro but also be able to log into it via a web browser.
Even have a desktop client to use on another computer that is used frequently but doesnt have a email client that can be setup.

I know Gmail mail has a big advantage because its embedded in Android phones and tablets but since they also have clients to use another email service, it wouldnt be a big issue. A proper app/client could always be made for phones and tablets.

rudihawk
February 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
I'll stick with Gmail thanks.

keithpeter
February 8th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Hello All

I voted for 'I'll stick with what I have' because what I have recently set up is a web hosing domain that provides me with pop3 access to mailboxes, and an authenticated smtp server for sending e-mail from wifi spots &c. I'm moving off Google services as they are getting a little facebooky for me.

I use sylpheed on my netbook set so that it does not delete received e-mail from the server. I'm trying to get away from BIS on the blackberry phone and move to LogicMail, but finding a combination of settings that allow me to access the smtp server is proving difficult. Most of the phone companies in the uk have blocked unauthenticated access to their own smtp servers so I have to use the authenticated one supplied by my hosting provider.

My main issue now is synchronising the sent mail. Easy on netbook/desktop, just put the sylpheed mail folder on dropbox. Harder on the phone.

An ubuntu / canonical mail service is one I would pay for if the legal jurisdiction was specific to the country, i.e. UK in the UK, German in Germany &c.

Interesting thread

Muddypaws
February 8th, 2012, 10:42 AM
I would vote a maybe, I am choosey about who I get email off of both in name, reputation and features ^^

lisati
February 8th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I run my own email server with IMAP access. I got fed up with the way the "free" providers handle spam over two years ago, and like the extra control that having my own server provides.

HansKisaragi
February 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
It would take a lot for me to abandon gmail since iv been using it for so many years.

robsoles
February 8th, 2012, 12:41 PM
own mail server for four years. I keep a hotmail, gmail and work addresses (actually, I host my work's email so...).

For the sake of supporting the cause I wish I had voted yes but in all truth it would be a lie because I have email addresses coming out my ears :roll:

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2012, 02:34 PM
If it met most of the needs I have for Gmail, I would consider using it instead.

The thing is that it would have a difficult time gaining traction, which in turns would have people hold off (chicken-and-egg syndrome).

Gmail has some nice features that are not so easily duplicated, such as opening a document in Google Docs before having to download it.

Even Hotmail has some nice features, such as being able to add a "+" and some indicator on your email address which you can easily manage rules to do something with it. So if you pruchase something or sign up for a newsletter you can have Hotmail do one thing with username@live.com and something else with username+newsletter@live.com.

But I would be willing to use an Open Source backed alternative!

Dry Lips
February 8th, 2012, 02:58 PM
I use http://lavabit.com/ which has an awesome privacy policy compared to the other providers of free mail out there. If you in addition use Thunderbird + enigmail, you have
a very good overall solution.

Still, I voted "yes" because I think there is a need for another alternative to Gmail, hotmail, etc. Unfortunately, lavabit isn't well known among the general public, and a free service made by Canonica, Red Hat and Novell would be easier to marked.

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2012, 03:12 PM
If it were specifically sponsored, or "blessed" by Red Hat, SUSE (Novell is split from the Linux side) and/or Canonical then it would have some legitimacy (from their reputations) and ensured compatibility.

Not to mention, seeing all 3 of these companies work together? Priceless!

Simian Man
February 8th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Gmail works perfectly for my needs and has been incredibly reliable over the years. I don't see any problem with it from a security or privacy standpoint. Them scanning my email to show me ads is a ridiculously low price for the service they offer.

Plus those three companies are actually competitors, they won't work together on something like this. But if they did, Red Hat would build the infrastructure, Novell would design the interface and Canonical would stick an "Ubuntu Mail: Mail for Humans" label on it and get all the credit :).

Dry Lips
February 8th, 2012, 03:34 PM
If it were specifically sponsored, or "blessed" by Red Hat, SUSE (Novell is split from the Linux side) and/or Canonical then it would have some legitimacy (from their reputations) and ensured compatibility.

Not to mention, seeing all 3 of these companies work together? Priceless!

Not that such a thing is very likely, though... :(

Plus those three companies are actually competitors, they won't work together on something like this. But if they did, Red Hat would build the infrastructure, Novell would design the interface and Canonical would stick an "Ubuntu Mail: Mail for Humans" label on it and get all the credit :).

Lol! :D

medic2000
February 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Yes of course Gmail needs to get down. They squashed their "We are not evil" thing ages ago and now with a new policy.

kurt18947
February 8th, 2012, 04:10 PM
I use http://lavabit.com/ which has an awesome privacy policy compared to the other providers of free mail out there. If you in addition use Thunderbird + enigmail, you have

Still, I voted "yes" because I think there is a need for another alternative to Gmail, hotmail, etc. Unfortunately, lavabit isn't well known among the general public, and a free service made by Canonica, Red Hat and Novell would be easier to marked.

+1 on Lavabit. Thunderbird has auto configuration, very simple. The web mail interface is rather spartan though.

Slug71
February 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Yes of course Gmail needs to get down. They squashed their "We are not evil" thing ages ago and now with a new policy.

Which is why id like an alternative but still Linux related.

SeijiSensei
February 8th, 2012, 10:16 PM
The Linux solution is to build your own mail server.

KingYaba
February 9th, 2012, 02:33 AM

+2 on Lavabit. :D I can't wait for the ixquick folks to roll out an e-mail system as well.

forrestcupp
February 9th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Even though Google is evil, I would stick with Gmail for a couple of reasons.

1. Because all of Google's apps are integrated pretty well together, and it's just easier to use with my phone and tablet. It would take a lot of work to be able to replicate all of that. I'm talking not just about Gmail, but how it works so well with everything else that is Google.

2. Because I went a few years early on where I used my ISP's email, and I kept changing ISPs, causing me to have to send out emails to all of my contacts asking them to change my address in their address books. I have enjoyed the last 12 or 13 years of having the same email address, and I don't want to have to mess with email forwarding.

And also, I'm satisfied as an end user with Google stuff, so why go through the hassle of changing it all?

Grenage
February 9th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Their contacts/calendar/mail system is easy to use, featureful and reliable; it ties into my iphone and Thunderbird seamlessly. Online document creation and management exceeds my requirements.

All of this, for free; why on earth would I want to move?

vorwart
February 9th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Gmail was Linux freindly, but the "new look" is proving otherwise. Personally, I am in the process of checking out gmx & myopera as alternatives. What a shame, gmail will be missed.

I would love to see a distro like Ubuntu create a good web based email system, provided they stick with the KISS rule, which is were everyone seems to go wrong.

a2j
February 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
moving to my own "dark" cloud. not just email, but pretty much everything else. I don't think I wanna trust those guys..

Flazer
February 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I'd definitely use a "Linux" email. I like gmail, but it's become what my yahoo account was. full of useless email everyday. that's my fault, but I'd also enjoy a company not reading my email to target ads to me. just my thoughts

DangerOnTheRanger
February 11th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm a TuxFamily member, so I just use the email address they provide, but a Gmail alternative sounds somewhat interesting.

Slug71
February 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Just signed up with Lavabit a few days ago. Pretty much exactly what i propose as the alternative. Now if the said companies would just get behind it, that would be awesome!

MasterNetra
February 29th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Gmail was Linux freindly, but the "new look" is proving otherwise. ...

How is it unfriendly to linux? I personally haven't had any issues using it. O.o

DJ_Max
February 29th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Even though Google is evil, I would stick with Gmail for a couple of reasons.

1. Because all of Google's apps are integrated pretty well together, and it's just easier to use with my phone and tablet. It would take a lot of work to be able to replicate all of that. I'm talking not just about Gmail, but how it works so well with everything else that is Google.

2. Because I went a few years early on where I used my ISP's email, and I kept changing ISPs, causing me to have to send out emails to all of my contacts asking them to change my address in their address books. I have enjoyed the last 12 or 13 years of having the same email address, and I don't want to have to mess with email forwarding.

And also, I'm satisfied as an end user with Google stuff, so why go through the hassle of changing it all?
I hate when people call an company evil for trying to make a profit. Google has done a lot for the open source community. But in order to not turn into a bankrupt company they have to create revenue. So if that means they are evil than I guess you could blame capitalism.

I dont see what the big deal is a about, what privacy issues do you have with Google? Or are you guys the tin foil hat wearing type?

varunendra
March 1st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Anyone else wish there was Gmail alternative....A big YES just for this part, for many reasons, which include-

....moving off Google services as they are getting a little facebooky for me.

Gmail works perfectly for my needs and has been incredibly reliable over the years. I don't see any problem with it from a security or privacy standpoint. Them scanning my email to show me ads is a ridiculously low price for the service they offer.. True, and I have nothing against Google so far. I just fear the potential "monopoly" which is never good in a human world, but is becoming more and more prevalent in search engines, a few specific services, email, even in browser to some extent in case of google.

Because all of Google's apps are integrated pretty well together, and it's just easier to use with my phone and tablet. It would take a lot of work to be able to replicate all of that. I'm talking not just about Gmail, but how it works so well with everything else that is Google...and the (potential) problem is - everything IS becoming 'google' - a slow but steady transition towards the 'monopoly' which may never be perfect, but still dominant and powerful enough to turn abusive someday (and for some of us, it already is turning abusive in some aspects).

Their contacts/calendar/mail system is easy to use, featureful and reliable; it ties into my iphone and Thunderbird seamlessly. Online document creation and management exceeds my requirements.

All of this, for free; why on earth would I want to move?I think we are just talking about a 'suitable alternative', not a total turn-down of google. You know, 'Balance of Power' is a crucial ingredient in a peaceful world! :)