PDA

View Full Version : I met a fellow Ubuntu user

Stovey
February 8th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Hi everyone!

I was purchasing gas, pop and chips while wearing my Ubuntu hoodie.

The gas attendant asked, "Do you work for them?"

I said, "No, I just like the operating system."

He asked, "Do you use 11.10? I like the bar that pops out."

I said "I use 11.10, and I loooove the bar that pops out. And I also like how the buttons are big so that I can see them. And I'm looking forward to 12.04"

I shook the attendants hand it told him it was nice meeting him.

|{urse
February 8th, 2012, 01:39 AM
kurse@euclid:~$sudo apt-get install bar-that-pops-out big-buttons
:lol:

rudihawk
February 8th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I only know one other person that uses Linux.

I'm surrounded by Windows users! :D

Tinker Tantrum
February 8th, 2012, 07:07 AM
It must be nice to run into an Ubuntuer on the street.

Rodney9
February 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
I don't know another soul who uses Linux, Macs and Windows only.

keithpeter
February 8th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Hello All

I've seen Ubuntu in the wild a couple of times on the train to London. Canonical staff?

There are local user groups by the way if you feel the need to see what the other people who use Ubuntu are like :)

cbennett926
February 8th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Hi everyone!

I was purchasing gas, pop and chips while wearing my Ubuntu hoodie.

The gas attendant asked, "Do you work for them?"

I said, "No, I just like the operating system."

He asked, "Do you use 11.10? I like the bar that pops out."

I said "I use 11.10, and I loooove the bar that pops out. And I also like how the buttons are big so that I can see them. And I'm looking forward to 12.04"

I shook the attendants hand it told him it was nice meeting him.

Same thing! I was wearing my Ubuntu fleece and a gas station attendant and I had a conversation about how Ubuntu is the best distro and what not.

HansKisaragi
February 8th, 2012, 10:10 AM
:lol:

oh man i cant stop laughing :)

robsoles
February 8th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I've spawned all the Ubuntu users that I can directly access. The one who put me onto Ubuntu is trickier to get in touch with :|

Muddypaws
February 8th, 2012, 10:44 AM
I meet lots of Ubuntu users in the Second Life online game (HUGE community of Linux users there), but never in Real Life >.~

Grenage
February 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Only once, when wearing an Ubuntu top (free t-shirt!) on holiday in Florida. I was in a bad mood to begin with (heat/humidity/theme park/food/personal space/grumble), when a very happy Kubuntu came out of nowhere.

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2012, 02:38 PM
I usually get comments when I am wearing my Ubuntu cap.

Bookstore Coffee Shop (Fedora users)
Local Christmas Tree Lighting ceremony ("How many people here do you think knows what that is?" referring to my Ubuntu hat)
While at my daughter's dance lessons.
and a few more I cannot remember at this time. There are more.

Unfortunately, I got a lot of reactions when I had the black Ubuntu cap, and I've lost that one. I picked up one of the newer ones but the black got all the recognition. :(

medic2000
February 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Nearly everyone around me uses Linux. My little brother is expert Linux user, my father and mother uses Linux. A lot of my friends uses Linux. My girlfriend uses Linux too.
Oh! I am surrounded my Linux users!

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Nearly everyone around me uses Linux. My little brother is expert Linux user, my father and mother uses Linux. A lot of my friends uses Linux. My girlfriend uses Linux too.
Oh! I am surrounded my Linux users!

Jealous.

I even had to move my wife off to Windows, though at least she was a trooper and still uses the Linux box often.

At least the kids are still using the Linux system!

wolfen69
February 8th, 2012, 04:07 PM
A couple people who bought stuff off me from Craigslist were linux users, but I don't meet them too often. I might have to get an ubuntu hat to see if anyone recognizes it. I have a tux tattoo, but I've only had 1 or 2 people know what it is. The most common comment I get is, "are you a Pittsburgh Penguins fan?" #-o

aykoola
February 8th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Where i live, almost everyone has pirated Windows. And amongst them is my girlfriend who has original Win (preinstalled on the laptop when she bought it). She would like to try Ubuntu, but is a bit afraid. But i have succesfully "converted" her brother and a couple of more people. And with three others that introduced me to Ubuntu, there's about 10 of us in my "circle" :)

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I have a tux tattoo, but I've only had 1 or 2 people know what it is. The most common comment I get is, "are you a Pittsburgh Penguins fan?" #-o

Yeah, every time I wear my Fedora hat (I got it before Ubuntu started offering a hat again) I wonder how many people think it's the Facebook logo!

QIII
February 8th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Up here in the PNW of the USA, I see lots of bumper stickers with Tux, "Powered by Penguin", Fedora logos, Ubuntu logos ...

I see the one with Calvin squirting on the Windows logo from time to time.

Bodsda
February 8th, 2012, 09:03 PM
I was pleasently surprised when signing up for a mobile phone contract at o2 that I didn't have to spell ubuntu to the sales guy. Turns out he had just installed it about a week ago, and was loving it!

He did have a few questions though, which unsurprisingly turned up in my inbox that evening.

Bodsda

Bölvağur
February 8th, 2012, 11:38 PM
At work there are 2 old ladies using linux.

In the office space where I work on my master project there are some linux users.

In my classes there are always a little less than half of them running ubuntu (very few other distros I can see).. Im in computer science and mainly see third year BS and MS students.

The student organisation for BS students has a computer lab/work area that is running ubuntu.

Just got an email last week saying that the Institute of Biology in my university will have a short 2 ECTS Linux course named "Linux, utilities".
So it's great that not only my part of the university can get some introduction to use the power of automated scripting.

So basically, almost anywhere I go I see the ubuntu logo.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 9th, 2012, 01:32 AM
I work with computer administrators and software developers; so, they use Linux; however, not necessarily Ubuntu. They also administer or write software on Microsoft Windows. I also use several operating systems.

In my immediate family, my wife, children, and my grandchildren use Linux. They also use Microsoft Windows. When they are using Linux it is Ubuntu.

I have met people on the street running Ubuntu. Occasionally I hear the Ubuntu startup sound. If there is any exchange with the person it is limited to acknowledging that I know they are running Ubuntu.

conradin
February 9th, 2012, 01:42 AM
2 other guys in this room run ubuntu, and theres a fedora user....
across the hall there is 3 ubuntu users, Ive dated 2 ubuntu using girls.

brpylko
February 9th, 2012, 01:51 AM
I was using Ubuntu, and a friend of mine comes up and asks "What is that?"
I replied "It's Ubuntu 11.10: Oneiric Ocelot."
He said "Sweet, I gotta get that on my home computer."
I lent him my live cd and he has been happily using it for over a month now.

mips
February 9th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Only once, when wearing an Ubuntu top (free t-shirt!) on holiday in Florida. I was in a bad mood to begin with (heat/humidity/theme park/food/personal space/grumble), when a very happy Kubuntu came out of nowhere.

Do you guys ever not complain about the weather? :biggrin:

Grenage
February 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Do you guys ever not complain about the weather? :biggrin:

Not if we can help it! ;)