PDA

View Full Version : Best Python IDE in Ubuntu

A4orce84
February 8th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Hello Everyone,

I have been using Ubuntu for years, but am getting ready to do some python development. Before I was just doing things in gedit and running it through the terminal, but I think an IDE is preferred now.

I tried pydev in Eclipse and it's okay, but kind of "weird." Is there a preferred python IDE out there that people use in Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance!

--Asif

cgroza
February 8th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I have used Geany a lot in the past, but now I have switched to emacs for all my programming tasks.

trent.josephsen
February 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
I use vim and sometimes jEdit. jEdit is nicer for beginners and is a very nifty editor but not as efficient as vim for me.

If an IDE really fits your workflow better, IDLE is "the" Python IDE, but as IDEs go it's kind of lacking IMHO.

Bodsda
February 8th, 2012, 10:03 AM
I've heard good things about eclipse, but imho nothing beats vim!

r-senior
February 8th, 2012, 11:04 AM
+1 for Geany for Python. It's an IDE, yes. But it doesn't get in the way too much - more like an editor with a terminal built in.

fallenshadow
February 8th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Well I use Geany for all my development besides Java. So that would be my recommendation although I have no Python experience.

Simian Man
February 8th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I use vim for single-file scripts (90% of my Python work) and Eclipse for larger Python projects consisting of multiple files.

I really don't understand why so many people recommend Geany. It doesn't provide the features that make real IDEs nice like smart auto-completion, refactoring, or smart code insertion. It also comes with a pretty generic editor that lacks the things that make vim and, to a lesser extent :), emacs great. I guess it has a small learning curve though.

lykwydchykyn
February 8th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I use emacs, but it does require some tweaking and setup to be a good python IDE.

Idle is usually a good starter IDE for Python. Where people tend to divide on IDEs in general is if they want a lot of features (integrated debugger, refactoring tools, code browser, etc) or if they just want something that's good for entering text really fast with a few minimal features like syntax highlighting.

For the longest time I thought I wanted the former, and then found that I wasn't using those features and was just annoyed by the clutter and slowdown. Until you really get developing, it's hard to know which way you'll prefer.

So start with something like Idle, and if you find yourself needing features, switch to something that has those features.

flebber
June 7th, 2012, 04:48 AM
Editor = Vim using vundle https://github.com/gmarik/vundle. This makes setting up and managing vim plugins a breeze. saves a lot of intital config time.

IDE new but already very good. NinjaIDE http://ninja-ide.org/

sathyastorm
March 17th, 2013, 05:28 PM
try ninja-ide probably the best.....

sathyastorm
March 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Guys try the new ninja-ide .........its only the most favorite ide of mine....

Virtuality314
March 17th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ninja-IDE is one that I like...

try ninja-ide probably the best.....

Oh.

llanitedave
March 19th, 2013, 05:57 AM
I've tried Eclipse, but it's bulky and slow, and some of the features are hard to find -- some might not even exist. Even with PyDev installed, sometimes it balks when I'm trying to have it run a file, and wants to run Java instead. I keep going back to Geany. It's basic, but fast, and has all the important features for Python right at your fingertips.