PDA

View Full Version : Well, here goes...

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM
I just burned an ISO on a CD of Dapper and I'm currently backing stuff up on my external hard-drive. Wish me luck on the install.

fuscia
June 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
go for it. safer than driving.

bored2k
June 8th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Bonne chance. Or at least, I so wish you have better luck with Dapper than I've had. Ugh.

bored2k
June 8th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Whoa. I remember the time when I inmediately associated "burning a CD" with piracy, specially when burning an operating system. Long live Linux :D.

YourSurrogateGod
June 8th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Whoa. I remember the time when I inmediately associated "burning a CD" with piracy, specially when burning an operating system. Long live Linux :D.
Heh, true. I just finished and it's pretty sweet. I still need to do alot of changes and updtates. Is there an FAQ like there was one for 5.04 and 5.10?

cstudent
June 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Congrats YSG!

I upgraded my laptop the other evening to Dapper. There wasn't anything on the Ubuntu drive I wanted to keep, so I did a clean install. So far everything is running great. I used the new Automatix deb to install a lot of the things I like and then I went into Synaptic and got the rest. There is a cool new feature to Synaptic that I'm going to use when I get ready to upgrade my desktop. Under the File menu there are options to create a download script and install downloaded deb files. I generated a download script for the additional packages I installed through synaptic. I'm going to modify it and the Automatix script to create my own install script for my desktop upgrade. It ought to be fun.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Bonne chance. Or at least, I so wish you have better luck with Dapper than I've had. Ugh.
Everything seems to be going fine so far. There are a few things that I'm just ironing out. I've had some problems installing the Nvidia graphics drivers, but other than that, nothing out of the ordinary of what I'd expect.

John.Michael.Kane
June 9th, 2006, 02:48 AM
YourSurrogateGod let us know how, and if you get the nv graphics going. i got hold of an nv based board with on board graphics, and wonder how easy it is to install the drivers.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 02:54 AM
YourSurrogateGod let us know how, and if you get the nv graphics going. i got hold of an nv based board with on board graphics, and wonder how easy it is to install the drivers.
Well, I encountered initial problems simply because I wasn't following directions :roll: . When I tried to restart X server, it crashed and didn't want to restart. I then booted into XP, read up more about this online and figured that the best option would be to uninstall the drivers and start from scratch. When I booted into Ubuntu, lo and behold, the X server was working. I then proceeded to start from scratch and install the drivers to the very end (I figured that I didn't need to actually remove them, just go over the existing procedures and that would continue wherever it was that I left off.) After that I restarted the X server thingy and it worked.

Yes, I know, it's pretty long-winded :) .

John.Michael.Kane
June 9th, 2006, 03:02 AM
YourSurrogateGod ok so you was kinda able to get nvidia graphics working out of the box. i'm gald it worked. i will see how things turn out on the system i'm getting going.

thanks.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 03:13 AM
The re-draw speed seems awfully slow on my machine when compared to 5.10, so I don't know if I should put in the old drivers and reinstall from scratch.

YourSurrogateGod
June 9th, 2006, 05:12 AM
What's cool is that the sound mixing seems to have worked out of the box. I didn't have to do anything, now if only xine would behave...