PDA

View Full Version : ThinkPad t520

cbennett926
February 7th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have a ThinkPad t520 (or any in general) if so what do you guys think? I play three games so gaming isn't a big deal, although it is fun, and I am a programmer so I know the keyboard is fantastic, just curious what everyone thinks?

mips
February 7th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Thinkpads are great notebooks.

szymon_g
February 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
although thinkpad's keyboard has an opinion of "great", i wouldn't say its so super-dooper: fn and ctrl as in invalid positions (although, AFAIK, you can change that in bios), escape and F<n> keys aren't in proper position.
But, those changes aren't that bad- you can got used to it.
Ah, and if you do not plan to use laptop in direct sunlight, there is little reason to pick up matte display- it isn't really good for general computing.
If you wanna feel the power boost, use ssd drive (and put harddrive in a disk caddy- for storage) :)

Duncan J Murray
February 7th, 2012, 11:05 PM
I haven't used a t520, but when my laptop goes, I'd be thinking about something along those lines (probably more the t420s).

I don't think anything compares to the thinkpad line. I've used my thinkpad T40 for the last 8 years as my only computer, and it just doesn't skip a beat*.

The only things that come close are maybe the Dell Latitude line (but I find it's much less well thought-out) and the Apple Macbook Pro (although machined nicely, it's not as easy to do things like swapping out the harddrive, battery etc... - at least, that was the case 8 years ago!)

I'm just slightly disappointed they included a windows key in recent versions. I like the big CTRL!

D

* O.k., I did drown it twice, one time requiring a motherboard replacement. And I've replaced a fan that went on it. Otherwise, it's been perfect. I've upgraded the RAM, harddisk and battery to try to keep it up-to-date. The only thing holding it back is the old graphics chip, which prevents it from running any of the new-fangled OS's.

Warpnow
February 8th, 2012, 01:29 AM
although thinkpad's keyboard has an opinion of "great", i wouldn't say its so super-dooper: fn and ctrl as in invalid positions (although, AFAIK, you can change that in bios), escape and F<n> keys aren't in proper position.
But, those changes aren't that bad- you can got used to it.
Ah, and if you do not plan to use laptop in direct sunlight, there is little reason to pick up matte display- it isn't really good for general computing.
If you wanna feel the power boost, use ssd drive (and put harddrive in a disk caddy- for storage) :)

People don't say the keyboard is great because of layout. Its great because of the quality of the keys and switches.

Also...

Unless you plan on only using your laptop in a dark room, there is little reason pick up a glossy display. It isn't really good for general computing.

See how that works? :-p