PDA

View Full Version : Im so pissed off

Satoyaki
February 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
K. so i got into linux just because i couldn't set my toshiba latop back too its factory defaults. and i wanted to isntall a new operating system. i heard all these things about how great linux was if you know ho to code and that you can customise it. that being said i dont know how to code (really). I have a little experience with html and turing. but i can find ANy resorse on the internet that actually BOTH teaches you how to make a Linux distro from the ground up AND explaing the programming commands/languge in linux.

I just want to know from the beginning how to make my own linux. or even how to create an operating system. i dont care if its a basic text page or an online linux course. my only limitation is i cant spend money to learn it because i dont have the means or the money to pay over the internet. so all you linux wizards out there. how did you learn to do it?

P.S. ubuntu sucks because it pretends to be user friendly but you have to be able to write codes and know how to program just to install programs and run things. it is not better than windows because you cannot just point and click. we are not back in the dos days and should not have to progam anything to use it when thres a perfectly good GUI. thats the problem. ubuntu's gui is far from perfect. it sucks. it doesnt help you do anything. its set up poorly, and it makes linux look stupid, unmanageable, and poorly thought out. hopefully this is not a representation of all linux or ill have to spend money on windows which althouh more useable (user friendly) than ubuntu is just as bad in its failings. such as price and pproblems created by corporate greed

EDIT: and dont direct me to LFS. it explicitly says its not for beginners

lykwydchykyn
February 6th, 2012, 10:14 PM
So, you want to build your own distro from scratch, but you can't hack ubuntu because it required you to enter commands to install something?

You do know you can install things via the software center and/or Synaptic, right?

Well, maybe www.linuxfromscratch.org is what you are looking for. Good luck! :)

EDIT: just saw your edit. You want to build your own distro from scratch in a way that's suitable for beginners?

Satoyaki
February 6th, 2012, 10:18 PM
So, you want to build your own distro from scratch, but you can't hack ubuntu because it required you to enter commands to install something?

You do know you can install things via the software center and/or Synaptic, right?

Well, maybe www.linuxfromscratch.org is what you are looking for. Good luck! :)

EDIT: just saw your edit. You want to build your own distro from scratch in a way that's suitable for beginners?

yes. im willing to do hours of reading but i need the material

holycow131415
February 6th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Check out linux mint, and install the cinnamon desktop on it. Heres a tutorial on how to install the cinnamon desktop =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-4OEYIXHmI

Ms. Daisy
February 6th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Crawl before you walk, Satoyaki!

Slow down.

First you need how to use Linux. Here's a great collection of tutorials that Cortman compiled:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909108

Learn all of that.

Then create your own distro. No one can give you a link to a tutorial to create your own distro without knowing bash. Doesn't exist.

MG&TL
February 6th, 2012, 10:28 PM
While trying not to be rude, Ubuntu is considered a model of user-friendliness among the linux world. You definitely do not have to code anything to get applications running, for a start. If you cannot get along with ubuntu, I suggest not making an OS as your first project (although I wouldn't suggest that to anyone). Perhaps "Hello World!" might be better...

Having said that, LFS is good for (relative) beginners, as is MikeOS. Learn C and assembly!

If you want to know how to make your own distro (although not necessarily form the ground up) you might have a look at remastersys or similiar. I would also reccommend Gentoo as a good way of learning what's really behind that nice GUI that is apparently rubbish.

Have a good day, and I look forward to seeing your OS. Btw, hours is probably not realistic. Years, probably.

lykwydchykyn
February 6th, 2012, 10:29 PM
yes. im willing to do hours of reading but i need the material

linuxcommand.org has some great tutorials for learning the command line. I honestly don't think you're going to find an easy-peasy build-your-own distro tutorial, simply because it necessarily involves a lot of compiling and command-line work.

You're better off finding some minimal distro and building your own environment from the ground-up with the included tools. I have a blog post that describes the basic anatomy of a distro here:

http://www.alandmoore.com/blog/2011/08/27/reviving-your-old-pc-with-linux-part-iii-understanding-linux-distributions/

I'd recommend getting something like Debian Stable or the Ubuntu minimal CD (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD) and starting there. Explore a few different desktop environments, and see what resonates with you.

And, honestly, try to approach things a little more positively.

dwasifar
February 6th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Let me see if I have this correct.

You don't know how to code, and you think no one should ever have to use the command line. You think Ubuntu is too complicated. And you want to build an OS from scratch, or build a Linux distribution from scratch. To do this you are willing to spend hours reading.

Can't tell if trolling or just... well, you know.

I know a guy who teaches guitar. Sometimes he will get a new student who shows up with a $99 department-store guitar in poor condition and badly out of tune, a book of Steve Vai or Yngwie Malmsteen tabs, and the tragic misapprehension that two or three lessons will make him into Vai or Malmsteen. These kids do not want to hear that they have bitten off far more than they can chew, and when they are told (as gently as possible) that what they want to do takes years of study and practice, they usually get angry, insult the teacher, and storm out.

You remind me of that.

To say "what you want to do can't be done" is to understate the problem by orders of magnitude. You are willing to spend hours of study to create an operating system? Try YEARS. I don't know what you think developers do all day, but if building the Next Great Operating System, or even the Next Great Interface, was simply a matter of following a few steps in some internet howto guide, the results would already be out there.

To those of us who actually do code for a living, what you suggest is both hilarious and insulting - hilarious because you look like a guy setting out to dig a tunnel with a spoon, and insulting because software development is an expert skill that takes years to master, not something you can just pick up by reading a couple of free websites in your spare time. I do sort of admire your ambitiousness, but you are in way over your head.

If you don't have the patience to simply learn to use Linux, you definitely will not be able to learn to rewrite it. You cannot revise what you do not understand. If you really want to pursue this path, become a competent user of the operating system first. Then maybe you'll have a starting point.

yetiman64
February 6th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Crawl before you walk, Satoyaki!

Slow down.

First you need how to use Linux. Here's a great collection of tutorials that Cortman compiled:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909108

Learn all of that.

Then create your own distro. No one can give you a link to a tutorial to create your own distro for beginners. Doesn't exist.
Good advice ^^^ imo.

After 4 years of using Ubuntu I can't code/program, plainly its not necessary anymore once a few user basics and a bit more understanding of the system is gained. Having said that NO gui or OS is perfect and requires learning before it can be used effectively (especially so when moving across to Ubuntu from Windows). I thought of myself as a power user in Windows, but on moving to Ubuntu was hit with one almighty (computer) culture shock. It took over 18 months of dual booting before I was comfortable enough to drop Windows altogether.

To build your own distro as a beginner in Linux ? You seem to be asking for a few hours of reading material to cover what takes most users years of practice/learning to achieve. I don't see that as feasible personally.

Good luck to you, whatever OS or distro of Linux you choose to use.

btindie
February 6th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Take a look at tinycore (http://ubuntuforums.org/www.tinycorelinux.com) which is a minimal distro which you can add extra packages to.

If you've got no knowledge or experience of Linux then you're asking a lot of yourself to put our own distro together.

If you want to learn how a basic UNIX OS works then take a look at MINIX (http://www.minix3.org/)

overdrank
February 6th, 2012, 10:56 PM
This thread is flame bait. Thread closed. If the op would like to start a new thread, please use the appropriate language. :)