PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Accessing NTFS partitions from Nautilus

gmd3006
February 6th, 2012, 02:58 AM
I have a Dell Dimension / Celeron D PC, with Windows XP, and 3 80GB hard disks. This is my first foray into Linux ever. In Dec. '11 I downloaded Ubuntu 11.10 to a USB, and installed from it. I partitioned sda with 2 NTFS partitions for XP, sdb with 3 partitions for Ubuntu, and left sdc with 1 ntfs partition for music .mp3 files. I'm using the default gnome GUI, mostly. I now have a dual-boot XP or Ubuntu machine! :o

When I first started using gnome, I'd click on the Home Folder in the launcher, and Nautilus would show 5 items:
my Home folder,
The File System, ie all folders starting from /
each of the 3 Windows partitions.

It would allow me to then select mount / dismount for the Windows partitions, and I could use the Windows partitions' files as easily as Ubuntu partitions' files. I was impressed that the support of the NTFS partitions was so good. :)

After a while, for some reason, the NTFS partitions no longer show up in the list upon booting the computer; just Ubuntu's Home and File System partitions do. If I open a program, e.g. Firefox, and use File Open, the NTFS partitions do show up. If I click on any/all of them, they mount to /media, and then they do show up as available in Nautilus, and I can access all of the files normally. But, it's a bit tedious to have to open Firefox and do mock File Opens to get the NTFS files recognized in Nautilus.

The odd thing is, I accidentally logged in as Guest, instead of my user name, and Nautilus did list the NTFS partitions as it used to do in my own account.

How can I restore Nautilus to list the NTFS partitions like it did originally?

Thanx!