PDA

View Full Version : The Superbowl

neu5eeCh
February 6th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Well, I've tried watching it on NBC after downloading Moonlight on both Firefox and Chrome. No luck. I get the same generic error on both - can't access video. Just wondering if anyone else is watching it on Linux?

As we speak, I'm booting up Windows.

doorknob60
February 6th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Leave it to NBC to partner up with Microsoft to make an cross-platform unfriendly solution :P Nothing beats good old TV for watching sports though: no buffering, weird plugins, always good HD quality, no worrying about going over bandwidth caps. It's why I still have cable, though cable isn't neccesarry for the Super Bowl, just an antenna and an HD TV unless you're in the middle of nowhere with no local TV stations (I guess that is somewhat likely in Vermont :P)

MisterGaribaldi
February 6th, 2012, 02:40 AM
+1 for TV here!

neu5eeCh
February 6th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Leave it to NBC to partner up with Microsoft to make an cross-platform unfriendly solution :P Nothing beats good old TV for watching sports though: no buffering, weird plugins, always good HD quality, no worrying about going over bandwidth caps. It's why I still have cable, though cable isn't neccesarry for the Super Bowl, just an antenna and an HD TV unless you're in the middle of nowhere with no local TV stations (I guess that is somewhat likely in Vermont :P)

Yeah, I don't have TV. In fact, I don't even *have* a TV. Got sick of the Satellite dipping into my wallet for reams of crap I never watched.

Anyway, I watched the game on Windows 7, IE whatever. I think that's the first time I've used IE in about 5 or 6 years. Slow as molasses, not sure why. Both of my Linux browsers downloaded Moonlight, but to no avail.

You know, as long as the big players (like Netflix and NBC Super Bowl for example) continue to team up with MS and Apple and blow off Linux, not a pretty HUD, or Launcher or Lenses are going to make a rat's butt difference to anybody. Shuttleworth might as well run butt-naked through Egypt for all anybody cares. My own two cents is that he might spend a little less time fussing over whether compiz will mar his precious DE, and a little more time cutting deals with some of these players so people can actually do on Linux what they're used to doing on Windows and Apple.

whiterabbit23
February 6th, 2012, 05:37 AM
why did the patriots have to lose the super bowl =(

neu5eeCh
February 6th, 2012, 05:39 AM

Interception and dropped passes. That's about it in my opinion.

Dr. C
February 6th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Well, I've tried watching it on NBC after downloading Moonlight on both Firefox and Chrome. No luck. I get the same generic error on both - can't access video. Just wondering if anyone else is watching it on Linux?

As we speak, I'm booting up Windows.

I would be very surprised if the Superbowl feed was not heavily infected with DRM and hence not viewable on GNU / Linux. After all the NFL was a very strong supporter of both SOPA and PIPA. By the way I would not blame the networks but rather the NFL itself for these kind of problems as they very likely made DRM a condition for licensing the content.

For something like the Superbowl TV is the way to go.

nerdopolis
February 6th, 2012, 05:50 AM

I feel your pain. I can't believe we lost to the Giants again of all teams :(...

whiterabbit23
February 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
well the patriots were 1-2 against winning teams this year. I am just mad cuz the giants knocked out my falcons =(

Bölvağur
February 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Maybe they were like most people on the planet and had no idea they were playing.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure if they don't know they are playing they'd lose... so imo it makes sense.

riseinside
February 6th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Very underwhelming game, IMO. The Patriots played a very sloppy game and I think that was really the game changer.

sffvba[e0rt
February 6th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Threads merged.

forrestcupp
February 6th, 2012, 01:34 PM
well the patriots were 1-2 against winning teams this year. I am just mad cuz the giants knocked out my falcons =(

You should be happy. If the Falcons had to be knocked out, at least it was by the Superbowl champions.

Good game. I'm a Colts fan, so I'm glad a Manning won.

I think Madonna was probably lip syncing.

jerrrys
February 6th, 2012, 01:41 PM
and football is over :cry:

sffvba[e0rt
February 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM

Don't fret... the rugby season just got going in earnest this past week-end ;)

spynappels
February 6th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Don't fret... the rugby season just got going in earnest this past week-end ;)

And that's a game for men! I think Wales' sin binning should have been a red card though... gutted for Ireland.

Sorry for the Hijack!

ikt
February 6th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I thought superbowl was the warm up to the hyperbowl, until I found out "hyperbole" is actually pronounced hy-per-bur-ly, but after watching the superbowl I now agree think the superbowl is a hyperbowl, way to much hype.

No offence Americans :X

chili555
February 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
I now agree think the superbowl is a hyperbowl, way to much hype.

No offence Americans :XNone taken. Remarkably, there are some of us who didn't watch it.

When I want to watch over-paid prima donnas, I turn to Formula One.

Dry Lips
February 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM
I thought superbowl was the warm up to the hyperbowl, until I found out "hyperbole" is actually pronounced hy-per-bur-ly, but after watching the superbowl I now agree think the superbowl is a hyperbowl, way to much hype.

No offence Americans :X

You really cracked me up :lolflag:

whiskeylover
February 6th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Should have watched the Puppy Bowl instead.

Rafterman414
February 6th, 2012, 08:28 PM
All I know if the Giants and Pats should never play against each other in the Superbowl again. When they played in 2008 my Grandfather on my Mom's side died, then this year my Grandfather on my Dad's side died. Apparently when these two teams get together it kills my family members.

malspa
February 6th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I got to see a couple of rugby games in person some months ago, here in New Mexico. Enjoyed it very much, even without knowing the rules. I'd go watch rugby any time.

As for the Super Bowl, I thought it was a great game. Yeah, a lot of mistakes were made, but's that's how things go. Eli Manning was great. As for Tom Brady, it's a pleasure to watch him sling that ball; unfortunately for the Pats, they came up short.

The game was close enough that it could have gone either way, which is just what you want in a Super Bowl (unless your favorite team comes out on the losing end).

mips
February 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Enjoyed it very much, even without knowing the rules.

Rules are actually pretty simple (well most anyway) and usually with TV commentary there explanations of the rules when they are not that obvious.

Best is to go watch a game with people that know the game so they can explain it as it goes on. It's much more flowing & faster than american football.

oldsoundguy
February 6th, 2012, 10:12 PM
My gripe .. no 3D! Now what's up with that? BCS was in 3D. Money involved?

The 1/2 time show was BORING to me .. all flash and NO substance live AND Memorex to fill in the MANY holes in the music .. but the LIGHTING crew deserves a big BRAVO!

JDShu
February 7th, 2012, 12:57 AM
The team I want to win *never* wins the super bowl. Actually same goes for the BCS championships.:(

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2012, 01:55 AM
The 1/2 time show was BORING to me .. all flash and NO substance live AND Memorex to fill in the MANY holes in the music .. but the LIGHTING crew deserves a big BRAVO!

I'm pretty sure Madonna was lip syncing. And we didn't have another boob controversy, but we did at least have that rapper woman flip the camera off.

bsniadajewski
February 7th, 2012, 04:08 AM
...and my beloved Packers

hildenbrandsteven
February 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
I'm pretty sure Madonna was lip syncing. And we didn't have another boob controversy, but we did at least have that rapper woman flip the camera off.
She was DEFINITELY lipsyncing, the timing was off.

malspa
February 7th, 2012, 06:28 AM
It's much more flowing & faster than american football.

That was my impression when I was watching those games.

silentdrgn
February 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM

And baseball begins. This is my favorite time of year. Catchers and pitchers reporting soon. Spring training around the corner! Love it.

silentdrgn
February 7th, 2012, 07:25 AM

When is the last time they actually sang a song for the half time show? Seems to always be lip synced. It was horrible this year though.

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Some people say she wasn't lip syncing for all of it, but I think she was, even on Like a Prayer. It even looked like Cee Lo was lip syncing. I just thought it was funny that she could do cartwheels while she was singing and her voice didn't even shake in the least, and she was never out of breath.

mips
February 7th, 2012, 03:00 PM
That was my impression when I was watching those games.

I've tried many times before to watch amrican football but I just can't, this continues stop start thing makes me lose interest fairly quickly.

Are the Miami Dolphins still a good team? For some odd reason I was a fan when I tried watching NFL, I have no idea why :D

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Are the Miami Dolphins still a good team? For some odd reason I was a fan when I tried watching NFL, I have no idea why :D

They have their moments, but they haven't been a great team since Marino.

The stopping and starting gets kind of annoying when you have to sit through that many commercials. That's why I usually record it on DVR and start watching about 45 minutes later. Then I can just skip the commercials and only watch the play. ;)

But the thing about American Football is that it's more like a game of chess than just running around all the time. The stopping and starting is all about strategy. Soccer and Rugby take more strength and endurance, but American Football takes a lot more strategics.

JDShu
February 7th, 2012, 06:05 PM
But the thing about American Football is that it's more like a game of chess than just running around all the time. The stopping and starting is all about strategy. Soccer and Rugby take more strength and endurance, but American Football takes a lot more strategics.

+1

In addition there is a lot more happening during one play in american football than during a similar time frame in continuous sports like rugby and soccer.

aaaantoine
February 8th, 2012, 02:03 AM
When is the last time they actually sang a song for the half time show? Seems to always be lip synced. It was horrible this year though.

I believe The Who sang into a working mic.

You could tell, cause their voices aren't as good as they used to be.

Edit: That came off harsh. They're good for their age, nonetheless.

wolfen69
February 8th, 2012, 06:33 AM
I was just happy the giants beat the patriots. Being a colts/peyton manning fan, I had to root for Eli.