PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can not login after upgrade

MASEngr
February 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Hi everyone.

11.10, Samsung NF-210 laptop.

After upgrading last night, my computer will not let me log in. When I get to the login scree, any movement on the touchpad brings up a black screen with system status text on it. It was working fine after the update (which was partial for some reason) but after the laptop ran out of power this started during the boot process. (The upgrade was done, I was putting the kids to bed and forgot to shut down or plug in before I watched a movie.)

Following the instructions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1887364
are not helpful. When executing the mv /home/username, I can't do it because the files are in use or busy. I don't have the message as it's from the other partition. I'd be rather wealthy if I could figure out how to C-V from computer to computer or over a reboot. ;)

My home directory is encrypted as well.

I can not access the recovery console from the login screen nor can I access the guest profile. I can access the tty profile.

The hardware is fine, as I am using the Win7 partition to post this.

What can I do to solve this? I don't want to lose all my data because something got configured the wrong way.

LinuxFan999
February 6th, 2012, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone.
11.10, Samsung NF-210 laptop.

After upgrading last night, my computer will not let me log in. When I get to the login scree, any movement on the touchpad brings up a black screen with system status text on it. It was working fine after the update (which was partial for some reason) but after the laptop ran out of power this started during the boot process. (The upgrade was done, I was putting the kids to bed and forgot to shut down or plug in before I watched a movie.)

Following the instructions here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1887364
are not helpful. When executing the mv /home/username, I can't do it because the files are in use or busy. I don't have the message as it's from the otheri partition. I'd be rather wealthy if I could figure out how to C-V from computer to computer or over a reboot. ;)

My home directory is encrypted as well.

I can not access the recovery console from the login screen nor can I access the guest profile. I can access the tty profile.

The hardware is fine, as I am using the Win7 partition to post this.

What can I do to solve this? I don't want to lose all my data because something got configured the wrong way.
Try not moving the cursor when logging in.

MASEngr
February 7th, 2012, 04:58 AM
I get a [username]@[computername] prompt but I can't enter any commands and after a few moments it returns to the login screen.

The prompt is not full screen. It is about 1/4 of the screen.