PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Keyring password request

motorcity909
February 5th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hi all

I've set Xubuntu to log me in automatically but it still prompts for an unlock keyring password once the desktop comes up and I can't do anything until I enter my password - couldn't even take a screenshot so took the attached (imag0132.jpg) on my phone.

I've installed Seahorse and remembered that I had this issue once on Ubuntu and simply changed the passwords in Seahorse to blank. There were three keys in Seahorse (see attached screenshot) so I changed them to blank and rebooted....and it still prompted for the password.

I also realised this had logged me out of Ubuntu One sync so I deleted the U-One keyring, logged in to U-One again which regenerated that keyring (now no.4) and new password, so that's fine. The other two keyrings both still have a blank password.

I know there are security aspects to these keyrings but I'd really like to not have to enter it everytime I logon. This is a family PC in my home so I trust all the users (obviously).

Any help as always is much appreciated.
Dave

mcduck
February 5th, 2012, 11:50 AM
You have to change the keyring's password to blank, not the passwords stored in the keyring...

(so make sure you right-click on the "Passwords:default" and then select the "Change Password"-option. You don't need to do anything with the actual keys.)

ajgreeny
February 5th, 2012, 12:49 PM
This could also be the wireless network connection asking for password, so check that the wireless network is set to Automatically connect and is also Available to all users in the Edit Connections dialog box.

mcduck
February 5th, 2012, 01:21 PM
This could also be the wireless network connection asking for password, so check that the wireless network is set to Automatically connect and is also Available to all users in the Edit Connections dialog box.
Setting the keyring password to empty would give the same result, and also works for any other program that's using the keyring... ;)

motorcity909
February 5th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the replies, clearing that password has worked perfectly, complete with a reboot to check.

Appreciated as always
Dave