PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bootable USB Disk

Shubham Sharma
February 5th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Hello people!
I came across a strange problem when i made a bootable usb disk for installing Ubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. I had a 2gb sony micro sd card which i used for making bootable usb disk. after installation when i tried to format it to normal, it only frees 695 mb (exactly the size of ubuntu setup) and after many tries i couldn't recover the rest of the memory on the card. Can anyone help me out please... :(

Shubham Sharma
February 5th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey problem solved! thank god... sigh :)

bogan
February 5th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Hi! Shubham Sharma,

You Posted:
Hey problem solved! thank god... sigh :smile: Please let us in on the secret.

I have exactly the same problem, only with an 8GB USB stick!!

What did you do to access the full memory??

Chao!, bogan.

Shubham Sharma
February 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Dude the solution is pathetically simple :\
When we create a USB bootable disk, it actually makes one more RAW partition in the disk which is the Ubuntu image, rest space is unallocated. To access that memory go to any windows xp/vista/7, plug in your device and go to disk management, there you'll see your USB drive and if you click on it, you'll graphically see the actual cause of the problem. :)
To access that memory delete the RAW partition and then make new partition with all the available memory and format it in desired format :)

PS- i think i got carried away and wrote too much :P lol :D

Ciao! :)

Shubham Sharma
February 5th, 2012, 06:16 PM
i'm sure there must be a similar disk management tool in Ubuntu too but i didn't tried it as yet, so i rely on Window's one for the time being :)

sudodus
February 5th, 2012, 06:35 PM
i'm sure there must be a similar disk management tool in Ubuntu too but i didn't tried it as yet, so i rely on Window's one for the time being :)
I suggest that you try Gparted in Ubuntu next time.

Shubham Sharma
February 5th, 2012, 06:39 PM
ok dude! :) will check it out as i get time

bogan
February 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Hi!, sudodus,

I used the Disk Utility and it showed the whole 8GB USB Disk as W95 Fat32 (0x0b), available ghosted and '-'.

Check File System showed: "Partition 1 check completed. System is clean."

I have not yet tried gparted as I did not want to disturb the LiveUSB installation.

Win7 showed it as 7.45GB FAT32, Healthy(Active,Primary Partition), 855MB used, 7GB free.

I am puzzled an confused.

Chao!, bogan.