PDA

View Full Version : Visual Basic

whiterabbit23
February 5th, 2012, 05:26 AM
How can i program in visual basic on ubuntu?

Dragonbite
February 5th, 2012, 06:09 AM
For Visual Basic (and not VB.net), look at Gambas.

For VB.net you can look at Mono (which is an open source .NET implementation).

3rdalbum
February 5th, 2012, 07:22 AM
For Visual Basic (and not VB.net), look at Gambas.

For VB.net you can look at Mono (which is an open source .NET implementation).

These are similar languages, not drop-in replacements. You'll need to relearn a little here.

linoseros
February 5th, 2012, 01:35 PM
don't use Visual Basic try Python you'll be in love with it and it's really very easy and powerfull

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 01:41 PM
don't use Visual Basic try Python you'll be in love with it and it's really very easy and powerfull

LOL yeah just change your programming language ?

Perhaps the OP likes VB, needs to use VB, required to use VB ?

Peace

forrestcupp
February 5th, 2012, 08:18 PM
LOL yeah just change your programming language ?

Perhaps the OP likes VB, needs to use VB, required to use VB ?

Peace

Then the OP needs to use Windows because that's what you use if you want or need to program in VB. ;)

satanselbow
February 5th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Then the OP needs to use Windows because that's what you use if you want or need to program in VB. ;)

If anyone suggests W7 in Virtualbox i'll cry :popcorn:

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM

I am aware ;-)

I just found it funny that it was recommended to change languages.

personally i use a VM

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 08:27 PM
If anyone suggests W7 in Virtualbox i'll cry :popcorn:

any reason, whats wrong with Windows 7 in Virtual box ?

it works fine for me and others that i know

Supermouse
February 5th, 2012, 11:32 PM
to OP:

It is easier for you to run Windows 7 on a VM and run Visual Studio inside it.

directhex
February 6th, 2012, 01:04 AM
These are similar languages, not drop-in replacements. You'll need to relearn a little here.

Mono has a full VB.NET compiler, which is a drop-in replacement (e.g. xbuild can compile a vbproj project from Visual Studio). However, related infrastructure may not be there, e.g. no WinForms designer

BrokenKingpin
February 6th, 2012, 03:32 AM
I second Mono... works very well.

forrestcupp
February 6th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mono has a full VB.NET compiler, which is a drop-in replacement (e.g. xbuild can compile a vbproj project from Visual Studio). However, related infrastructure may not be there, e.g. no WinForms designer

I second Mono... works very well.

Yeah, but doesn't Mono's visual form builder only work with C#? People don't use Visual Basic because they want to manually enter all of their code. They use it because it's easy and they don't have to write much code.

Dragonbite
February 6th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but doesn't Mono's visual form builder only work with C#? People don't use Visual Basic because they want to manually enter all of their code. They use it because it's easy and they don't have to write much code.

Last I knew, only C# have a visual builder (Stetic?). I've been hoping for a VB.NET, though I usually don't need it as I do a lot of my work in ASP.NET (if I do any programming at home).

There is also RealBasic (http://www.realsoftware.com/) (for VB Classic) and KBasic (http://kbasic.com/) (VB.NET) which are both pay-for programs and are "like" the official VB/VB.NET, but different.

directhex
February 7th, 2012, 12:31 AM

Stetic is C# only. Nobody so far has cared enough to make it emit VB.NET. Probably wouldn't be too hard, it's really just XML input so a fancy XSLT is about as hard as it gets

forrestcupp
February 7th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Stetic is C# only. Nobody so far has cared enough to make it emit VB.NET. Probably wouldn't be too hard, it's really just XML input so a fancy XSLT is about as hard as it gets

You should do it for us, then. :)

directhex
February 7th, 2012, 11:52 AM
You should do it for us, then. :)

My responsibility ended at producing the mono-basic package.

And for that I had to convert to Catholicism just so I could confess my sins

alexfish
February 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
As far as (basic) goes

also have a look at

PureBasic ,latest version (compiles standalone code)cross platform , has plenty of demo's to get started.
in linux can also implement most .so's on the sytem , main one been libwebkitgtk , and other is database sqlite / sqlite3
also has in-line assembler, this is one powerful bit of kit for, basic orientated programmers