PDA

View Full Version : Where is your panel?

whatthefunk
February 5th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Title says it all. Im curious to see how many of us have kept defaults.

I have a bottom panel and a top dock-like thing.

malspa
February 5th, 2012, 03:32 AM
It depends. Top or bottom, it doesn't matter much to me. In old GNOME 2, I use a bottom panel with a top panel set to auto-hide. KDE, Xfce, Openbox, and E17, just a bottom panel. AwesomeWM, Unity, GNOME Shell, top.

jerrrys
February 5th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Gnome Classic (top) and Unity Launcher Panel (side)

FuturePilot
February 5th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Bottom. KDE.

Triblaze
February 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Gnome 2, Panel on top, dock on bottom.

ilovelinux33467
February 5th, 2012, 04:29 AM
I just have it at the bottom (the default in KDE).

Linuxratty
February 5th, 2012, 05:13 AM
Still with 10;10 so I have the classic Gnome two panels.

doorknob60
February 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Bottom. Hate to call it "windows style", but that's kinda what it is. I don't see the need to have more than one panel, and of all the sides, the bottom seems best and most sensible, so I use that :)

pbpersson
February 5th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Two panels, both at the bottom - the very bottom one is for quick launch icons and the one on top of it is the taskbar. I did a teal metallic background for them.

aykoola
February 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Mine is up :)

2cute4u
February 5th, 2012, 12:47 PM
gnome 3 fallback panel at the top, with main menu indicator appmenu and indicator complete.

AWN on the right side, with cairo menu, launcher/tasmanager and trash

Fedz
February 5th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Voted: Side.
Just the left Unity launcher panel :)

neu5eeCh
February 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Your poll is missing an option. :popcorn:

I don't use panels (unless you're not making a distinction between panels and docks). All I use is AWN on the right side & synapse for everything else. Have no use for a panel.

yetiman64
February 5th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Title says it all. Im curious to see how many of us have kept defaults.

I have a bottom panel and a top dock-like thing.

3 panels if you include an AWN dock setup in panel mode where the Unity sidebar normally is.

The Unity sidebar has been shifted to the bottom and set on autohide with a bottom left hand corner only mouse trigger.

The top unity panel is not quite fully standard as I've turned on all notifications icons.

Works very nicely for me :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30874719/UF/My-panels-thmb.png (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/30874719/UF/My-panels.png)
(click thumbnail for fullsize image) Voted 2, top and bottom :-)

Gremlinzzz
February 5th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Linux mint 12
took all stuff from bottom panel put on top,then removed bottom panel.
then installed AWN,:popcorn: removed bottom panel with this then all stuff went to top http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=212087&stc=1&d=1328456494

plus i have that side bar

jerrrys
February 5th, 2012, 04:55 PM
gnome 3 fallback panel at the top, with main menu indicator appmenu and indicator complete.

AWN on the right side, with cairo menu, launcher/tasmanager and trash

I would like to see a pic of that

keithpeter
February 5th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Hello All

Stock Gnome Shell so topbar
CentOS 6.2 with 'windows style' bottom bar
dwm/dmenu - what is a panel?
xubuntu on the old laptop, one panel at bottom 'windows style'

Multiple personalities are fun, we (in my head) all agree on that at least :twisted:

urukrama
February 5th, 2012, 08:58 PM
On my main computer: no panel, no dock.

On my other computer: xfce4-panel at the bottom of the screen.

PaulW2U
February 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Sorry, I couldn't vote as I multi-boot between several installations

1) KDE - bottom
2) Unity - left hand side
3) Gnome Shell - top and bottom

So 1) and 2) are the defaults but I've added a bottom panel to 3).

cespinal
February 5th, 2012, 09:30 PM
I don't use panels. Just a systray on the top...

Copper Bezel
February 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
I've found the dock at the left, panel at the top arrangement the most comfortable on the whole. It's been different variations on that, and I've tried just about every possible panel and dock. I don't currently use a dock in Shell (since with the Overview for window switching, the Favorites launchers are enough,) so I voted top.

I do like the look of the top panel. It seems more like a graphic element (like a letterhead) than the physical, structural metaphor that happens with it on the bottom (as if it's holding the window up.)

Warpnow
February 5th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Bottom for fullscreen.

Side (left) for widescreen.

koleoptero
February 6th, 2012, 12:38 AM
If I use a panel then it's at the top, which feels more ergonomic since window controls are at the top too, as are toolbars and menubars mostly.

Two panels, both at the bottom - the very bottom one is for quick launch icons and the one on top of it is the taskbar. I did a teal metallic background for them.

go to /usr/share/themes/Ambiance/gtk-2.0/apps and look in the gnome-panel.rc file for the line bg_pixmap[NORMAL] = "img/panel.png" and put a # in front of it. Switch theme and back to it and voila, your panel is using that bg everywhere.

BrokenKingpin
February 6th, 2012, 03:41 AM
One panel at the bottom with Xfce.

LillyDragon
February 6th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I just stick with Gnome 2's default top and bottom bars. I initially loved how different its appearance and positioning of elements was from Windows; it felt new and fresh. It was alien in a good way. Nothing makes me want to alter that arrangement, except for its colors (or graphical bars, most of the time.) so it can match my new theme's primary color.

Ironically, that love for new and wonderful things hasn't translated as well towards Unity. But that's more of a matter of preference and comfort, not hate! It's great having choices. That's one reason why I enjoy using Linux so much. =P

mips
February 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM
My panels are always at the top, can't stand them at the bottom. Also only run a single panel.

viperdvman
February 6th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I chose top. On my desktop, I have the panel up top, and AWN dock on the bottom. Since the bottom is a dock, I chose "Top"

My netbook as the panel on top, and a launcher on the left.

riseinside
February 6th, 2012, 11:32 AM
XFCE. I've got the main panel on the top and a auto hiding panel on the right side with a bunch of apps.

kef_kf
February 6th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Left side on autohide in KDE.
No task switcher, I use present windows to switch windows.
No application menu, got krunner to launch stuff.

Just need the panel for the system tray items, tried to have the system tray on dashboard but dashboard does not get along well with widgets triggering non-widget menus.

JayKay3OOO
February 6th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Bottom standard panel minus klauncher and side quicklaunch panel on autohide - kde