PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Linux

rcarring
June 8th, 2006, 03:12 PM
A controversial suggestion....

what if Microsoft, having considered the alternatives, and pursuing their habit of buying up technology so they don't have to start from scratch, bought a Linux distribution?

Would you consider running it if you know that Windows emulation was built in and worked...?

They would have to make it free to use on an unlimited amount of machines as well.

rejser
June 8th, 2006, 03:17 PM
If it was a good product that fullfill my needs then yes. Have nothing against MS, only reason that I run linux is that I demand more than win can deliver. Win is an exelent product which is enough for most peoples needs.

franestepona
June 8th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Hard to think. I would not try. Microsoft can make it free at the same time that cover you with thousand of commercials. Windows compability it's always welcome, but not windows programs i think.

Kimm
June 8th, 2006, 03:19 PM
If it was all of these things: Completely Open Source, stable, doesnt run as root by default and I wouldnt have to see the MS Logo everywhere...

Then I would use it.

highslime
June 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
A friend of mine told me that in the Microsoft Antitrust suit several years ago(or maybe a different lawsuit vs. them, so many people sue the Evil Empire), a judge ruled that M$ could never release a Linux distro. Of course, I could be wrong, but I hope I'm not. :-\"

phlo
June 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Even if they made a linux ditro we will have to pay for it. This is the MS policy, pay-per-run :p.
So let MS where their are

rcarring
June 8th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I think that Microsoft would have to make it opensource etc, and comply with the licenses regarding such software.

This would be an act of true altruism, as they would gain nothing from it. Other than that people might still buy their Windows apps yet run them on MS Linux.

bruce89
June 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM
And they would have to have some kind of daily phone home thing - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/08/ms_wga_phones_home/

zapcojake
June 8th, 2006, 03:33 PM
I read an article awhile back that talked about the founder of Gentoo Linux working at M$ in their dedicated Linux lab and quitting because he got bored I suspect as per the norm Bill is "liberating" what ever pieces of code he wants and that is as far as it will go. As far as ever using a M$ version of linux I have to say no thanks. They would probably find a way to screw it up anyway. maybe they could call it greenback Linux or suedo linux or almost linux:).

Stormy Eyes
June 8th, 2006, 03:43 PM

what if Microsoft, having considered the alternatives, and pursuing their habit of buying up technology so they don't have to start from scratch, bought a Linux distribution?

Given the terms of the GPL, I think Microsoft would be more likely to use FreeBSD.

bruce89
June 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
I read an article awhile back that talked about the founder of Gentoo Linux working at M$ in their dedicated Linux lab and quitting because he got bored I suspect as per the norm Bill is "liberating" what ever pieces of code he wants and that is as far as it will go.
Sounds a bit like George W Bush "liberating" Iraq. I have seen better liberation at the Tory party conference.

Footissimo
June 8th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Would you consider running it if you know that Windows emulation was built in and worked...?

They would have to make it free to use on an unlimited amount of machines as well.

No, mostly because it would probably be some fiendish scheme to cripple linux..

linbetwin
June 8th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Oh, but they have released a Linux distro !
http://www.mslinux.org/

IYY
June 8th, 2006, 05:43 PM
The wisest thing MS could do right now is build something on top of FreeBSD, like Apple did. That way, they'll have a solid and secure OS, and won't have to open source it. But maybe the reason they don't do it is because then people will get used to the Unix way of doing things, and conversion to Linux and OS X will be easier. Or maybe they're just stubborn.