PDA

View Full Version : COMODO AntiVirus for Linux?

dagroves
February 5th, 2012, 12:05 AM
I know a big so called "Selling" point of Linux for a lot of people, especially me, would be the fact that Linux is essentially virus free (even though you can still get on if you run windows programs with WINE or you intentionally download a virus). But I have recently found and downloaded and joined the Beta Program of COMODO AntiVirus for Linux. They have a .deb available to make it easy to install and run. I am just wondering, what would be the point of advertising and selling this product to consumers if distros advertise as Virus Free, Ubuntu does this (http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/why-use-ubuntu). If Linux is basically virus free, why even waste time on a program like this? I was just wondering... I only downloaded it so I could check it out.
David

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 12:13 AM
I know a big so called "Selling" point of Linux for a lot of people, especially me, would be the fact that Linux is essentially virus free (even though you can still get on if you run windows programs with WINE or you intentionally download a virus). But I have recently found and downloaded and joined the Beta Program of COMODO AntiVirus for Linux. They have a .deb available to make it easy to install and run. I am just wondering, what would be the point of advertising and selling this product to consumers if distros advertise as Virus Free, Ubuntu does this (http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/why-use-ubuntu). If Linux is basically virus free, why even waste time on a program like this? I was just wondering... I only downloaded it so I could check it out.
David

To scan for viruses so you dont send infected files to windows users or receive them and pass them on or for files you use in a windows dual boot or spare machine etc.

Any AV product for Linux is not for Linux viruses but for other OS infected files, emails etc.

Cheers

Dangertux
February 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM
Two major reasons.

The first : audit compliance. Corporations use Linux, corporations also process sensitive data. AV is a requirement for compliance.

The second : most AV also doubles as anti-malware (not all bad programs are viruses most aren't in fact) so it covers this base as well.

Hope that helps.

kc1di
February 5th, 2012, 12:16 AM
you make some good points. only thing I can think of is that you can still pass the virus on to any windows machines you communicate with even though it will not likely do any damage to the Linux box.

So for that reason it may be worth trying.
Cheers!

robsoles
February 5th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I can think of one reason quick enough: I've previously heard of Windows users abusing Linux users for sharing/sending them some killer viri and malware.

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Two major reasons.

The first : audit compliance. Corporations use Linux, corporations also process sensitive data. AV is a requirement for compliance.

The second : most AV also doubles as anti-malware (not all bad programs are viruses most aren't in fact) so it covers this base as well.

Hope that helps.

oh yeah and this ^

compliance compliance compliance, compliance is all about making sure you have tons of stuff and people doing things not needed for anything other than compliance ;-)

dagroves
February 5th, 2012, 12:30 AM
All good points! Thank you for clarifying!

3Miro
February 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
AV programs for Linux do not look for Linux virused. AV programs under Linux look for Windows viruses. AV program installed on a Linux machine, will have no effect on the security of the Linux machine itself. However, an AV program installed on a Linux machine will help secure surrounding Windows machines. While Windows dominates the desktop market, Linux is the master on servers; it is common to see Windows machines interfacing with a Linux server for e-mail, file sharing, etc. Thus the Linux machine will be the best place to put a Windos AV protection to stop viruses from spreading to the Windows machines.

3rdalbum
February 5th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Every few years the anti-virus companies predict an explosion in the number of Linux viruses. I suspect they make Linux-based anti-virus partly for the server market, partly for the companies that need anti-virus to be able to "tick that box", and partly for a bit of scaremongering.

Oh, and partly for ex-Windows newbies who get scared if they don't have an anti-virus program.

electroguy
March 10th, 2013, 06:10 PM
When I try to instal Comodo AV it says "The installation of a ................................This could cause serious problems on your computer........................."

Is it safe to install ?

lisati
March 10th, 2013, 10:16 PM
When I try to instal Comodo AV it says "The installation of a ................................This could cause serious problems on your computer........................."

Is it safe to install ?

From the forum Code of Conduct:

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Old thread closed.