PDA

View Full Version : A development project not for women, but done by women

urbandryad
June 8th, 2006, 03:00 PM
I noticed that this forum is a little light on conversation, so I thought it would be great for us women, all of us, to start working on a project together that everybody can use. Not a project FOR woman, not a women themed based project, but something done and coded by women.

I think a few of the following ideas, anybody can come up with anything else please add to it! I'm not a developer the most I'd be able to do is test the project on my PPC blueberry clamshell, or do some graphics in gimp.

Web Browser (light and small, all the browsers I've seen are huge on space requirements and have a billion uneccesary features)

Desktop: We have Ubuntu (Gnome) Kubuntu (KDE) and Xubuntu (XFCE) and dozens of others. How about something we can some up with for a certain user in mind? Maybe something with Fluxbox, or even Gnome or KDE but lighter, for slower computers, or maybe just a desktop theme?

Icones: We can all make icons. :) I'm thinking of doing a Harry Potter icon set. What if every woman in the forum did one icon, then we packaged them all together for people to download as a set? That would be fun.

Thats all I can come up with. Good idea? :3 Like making a group peice of artwork, but with usibility.

franestepona
June 8th, 2006, 03:04 PM
What about a cursor theme? i am pretty bored of the classical one and can't find any good one.

Fran.

FryerFox
June 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Web Browser (light and small, all the browsers I've seen are huge on space requirements and have a billion uneccesary features)

Desktop: We have Ubuntu (Gnome) Kubuntu (KDE) and Xubuntu (XFCE) and dozens of others. How about something we can some up with for a certain user in mind? Maybe something with Fluxbox, or even Gnome or KDE but lighter, for slower computers, or maybe just a desktop theme?

Icones: We can all make icons. :) I'm thinking of doing a Harry Potter icon set. What if every woman in the forum did one icon, then we packaged them all together for people to download as a set? That would be fun.

I'm a professional programmer, and I can tell you that creating a desktop or a web browser is a huge deal (incidentally, Epiphany is quite light weight and very snappy in GNOME).

In my opinion, the easiest way for someone to get involved and help out with the OSS movement is to provide incremental improvements to projects already in development (I can tell you that artwork is often very appreciated, since most of us programmers take a week to craft a stick-figure drawing!).

After becoming aquainted with the different aspects of OSS, it will be easier to decide what it is that you want to do, and by then, you will have the trust of other developers.

Just my opinion - I don't in any way mean to discourage you :D

Biltong (Dee)
June 8th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I agree with FryerFox.
Although it seems like a good idea we have quite a few good things going for us already, so why concentrate energy on something new? Rather help out where you can, and if in doing so you come up with a Nobel-winning idea, all the better for the rest of us! :-)

sagarhshah
July 5th, 2006, 06:50 PM
I have a problem.

I have multiple distrubutions running on my desktop.
I even have Windows (I have programs that run in windows only and NO wine does not work I have already tried!!)

One problem I hate is that my favorites in opera in ubuntu cannot be accessed from opera in windows.
Also with firefox and opera on the same distrubution.

How about a program that lets one synchronise their profiles like favorites passwords, settings etc?

Sagar Shah

p_schott
July 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
I don't know for Opera, but for Firefox you can try this (http://www.google.com/tools/firefox/browsersync/).