PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No more bookmark for Firefox 9.0.1 in 11.10

SteMMo
February 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Hi all,
since i upgrated to 11.10 (adn also to 11.04) i have problems handling bookmarks.
The bookmark list is empty, the library window is empty and if i try to add a link, i don't have any result.
Any idea?
Is there any log for firefox?

Thanks

ajgreeny
February 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Hi all,
since i upgrated to 11.10 (adn also to 11.04) i have problems handling bookmarks.
The bookmark list is empty, the library window is empty and if i try to add a link, i don't have any result.
Any idea?
Is there any log for firefox?

Thanks
Try a new profile. Rename the ~/.mozilla/firefox/#x#x##x#.default folder in your home as a backup, and start FF again. You can then try to restore your bookmarks from the ~/.mozilla/firefox/#x#x#xx#.defaultbackup/bookmarkbackups folder and see if they really are gone.

The files in the bookmarksbackups folder are plain text which you can read with gedit to see if there is anything there.

SteMMo
February 4th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks,
i almost solved running firefox in safe-mode; in this way i restore the bookmark default list.
Now i'm not abel to restore my old bookmards cause i do not find the import command :(.
In the Library window i have no buttons!

ajgreeny
February 4th, 2012, 09:43 PM
What, no "Import and Backup" showing in the top bar of library window?

SteMMo
February 6th, 2012, 09:36 AM
No, i only see the orange arrows and the Search box, no buttons in the middle !?!?!?!?
How this is possible ????

ajgreeny
February 6th, 2012, 08:58 PM
No, i only see the orange arrows and the Search box, no buttons in the middle !?!?!?!?
How this is possible ????
No idea. Sorry!

lovinglinux
February 7th, 2012, 07:20 PM
I have seen a similar problem on another thread, but I can't remember the solution.

If you are able to run it with safe mode, then is an extension messing things up. Try to disable the Global Menu extension and the Ubuntu Firefox Modifications extension to see if there is any change.

SteMMo
February 8th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Yes!
Running in safe-mode i'm able to access to Import/Export menu.
From here i imported an old json bookmarks file and now i have my old links.
Once returned to standard mode, the button disappairs.
In the meantime the system updates to 10.0 but nothing change (in standard mode) :(

lovinglinux
February 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Yes!
Running in safe-mode i'm able to access to Import/Export menu.
From here i imported an old json bookmarks file and now i have my old links.
Once returned to standard mode, the button disappairs.
In the meantime the system updates to 10.0 but nothing change (in standard mode) :(

So, it is an extension or theme. Are you using a custom theme?

SteMMo
February 10th, 2012, 10:15 PM
If you mean a theme for firefox, no, the predefined one.

If disabled every extension until I found that the only one that make the button appair is Global Menu Bar Integration 2.0.2.
When it is disabled i see the buttons 'Organize', 'View' and 'Import and save' (i guess that are the names in English).

lovinglinux
February 11th, 2012, 02:51 PM
If you mean a theme for firefox, no, the predefined one.

If disabled every extension until I found that the only one that make the button appair is Global Menu Bar Integration 2.0.2.
When it is disabled i see the buttons 'Organize', 'View' and 'Import and save' (i guess that are the names in English).

So, that is the culprit, isn't it?

SteMMo
February 12th, 2012, 12:27 AM
Yes, i think. Now i'm running without that one.

Other problem is when i ask to add a new bookmark: the first window is ok but when I try to enlarge it to select a different folder, the window does not resize and then i see only a part of the window. :confused:

lovinglinux
February 13th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Yes, i think. Now i'm running without that one.

Other problem is when i ask to add a new bookmark: the first window is ok but when I try to enlarge it to select a different folder, the window does not resize and then i see only a part of the window. :confused:

The bookmark manager window? You could try to add by simply clicking the star in the address bar and customize the location there. You can also drag the tab to the bookmarks sidebar.

I rarely use the Bookmark Manager. Only when I need to export/import.