PDA

View Full Version : For those that think ubuntu stickers look cheesy on your laptop...

wolfen69
February 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM
Actually, I think that they look kind of cheap also. So I thought of a way to show my ubuntu pride while still showing some class. (see attachments)

I went down to the local arts and crafts superstore, and picked up these raised metallic letters for like $5. They are non-permanent, and self-sticking. (Thickers, if you need to know the name)

They have different kinds of "metal", such as gold, silver, sparkle, and different colors. I think it looks much better than some cheapo stickers that fade and peel.

Btw, they look much better in person than in the pics.

I used a T-square to keep them in-line, and didn't press them down until I had them lined up just right.

Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone looking for an alternative to the usual ubuntu stickers. Hey, come up with your own ideas, and share. Cheers.

Gremlinzzz
February 4th, 2012, 04:52 AM
Mine would be like a billboard. I'am always changing systems :popcorn:

hansdown
February 4th, 2012, 05:05 AM
That does look great, wolfen69.

The free stickers do fade, and peel, and look somewhat unappealing, after a time.

sffvba[e0rt
February 4th, 2012, 05:23 AM
I don't agree about the stickers... the ones I got from the Canonical Store are awesome and look and feel durable, but I guess YMMV.

hansdown
February 4th, 2012, 05:38 AM
I don't agree about the stickers... the ones I got from the Canonical Store are awesome and look and feel durable, but I guess YMMV.

I was referring to the "free" ones, from The ones, that come with an ubuntu cd.

That was from 6.10 so maybe they aren't made from printed paper now. :confused:

Edit:

Should have stated that.

My bad.

wolfen69
February 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
Mine would be like a billboard. I'am always changing systems :popcorn:

Sounds like a classic distro hopper. ;)

koleoptero
February 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
mine would be like a billboard. I'am always changing systems :popcorn:

+1

forrestcupp
February 4th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Looks pretty nice. Do they have smaller sizes, though? I don't think I could get away with it because I have a 2 year old that would have it picked off before the end of the first day. :)

rudihawk
February 4th, 2012, 11:17 PM
To be honest, I think the stickers look better.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

wolfen69
February 5th, 2012, 01:00 AM
Do they have smaller sizes, though?

They have everything where I went. (Michaels)

JayKay3OOO
February 5th, 2012, 01:09 AM
+1

+2

& L i n u x would be better in my case.

Copper Bezel
February 5th, 2012, 02:12 AM
I definitely prefer this to the stickers, even nice foil stickers, although I agree that the logo would look better if a bit smaller. It comes closer to looking as if it were manufactured that way.

Of course it depends entirely on the machine. If the lid is a flat gray chunk of plastic, stickers would look fine. If it's an aluminum lid, nothing's going to look good outside of professional engraving. In between, with things like the glossy layer of transparent plastic over a matte one like HP popularized, I think this would be a great solution.

Triblaze
February 5th, 2012, 04:08 AM
Looks pretty awesome, might try this out.