PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] tag files (nautilus, tracker, 11.10, unity)

langmarp
February 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
hi

I would like to be able to tag my files and than search accordingly.
Nautilus used to have such a feature, but does not have it anymore.

Tracker should have been the solution but I do not know how to make it function.

Could you help me out with some ideas?

Thank you!

Best,peter

vmalep
March 1st, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hi Peter,

I am looking for the same features and I found various discussions on this topic, but so far no straightforward solution (tracker being the best one I believe), which I found amazing considering the need of a tagging system and how easy it could be implemented.

Apparently, KDE has this feature available.

The good news is that it woulb be fixed for the next Ubuntu version:
http://www.multimediaboom.com/ubuntu-12-04-codename-precise-pangolin-alpha-1-released/

Best regards,
Pierre

vmalep
March 3rd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi,

I have just tried the Ubuntu 12.04 beta version and it seems the file tag feature is not implemented (at least by default).

In the other hand, KDE has this implemented in Daulphin.

BR
Pierre

fourthirtysix
May 1st, 2012, 07:45 PM
I installed Ubuntu 12.04 recently and was disappointed that file tags weren't into nautilus yet.

With Ubuntu's push for the HUD interface, allowing for files to be tagged in nautilus should be a top priority.

I saw a review or two in November of 2011 suggesting that it was coming, but it's not easy to figure out what the GNOME/Nautilus teams are up to.

Hopefully this will appear before too long, they are somewhat falling behind without this feature.