PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] problem with ubuntu software center

iamnoob
February 3rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
i am using ubuntu 11.04. it is showing some error while updating or installing any app from ubuntu software center. error msg is
"Could not initialize the package information

An unresolvable problem occurred while initializing the package information.

Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the following error message:

'E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_partner_b inary-i386_Packages, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.'"
i am a starter plz help.

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Welcome. You don't have any other package managers open at the same time? Update manager or anything like that?

iamnoob
February 3rd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Welcome. You don't have any other package managers open at the same time? Update manager or anything like that?
thank you! well no i have face almost same problem before but that time update-manager was unaffected from it. now if i go to ubuntu software center to download any app it does not go further if i click any of application type icon. i changed server but condtion was the same. no i dont open any of 2 package manager same time.

raja.genupula
February 3rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Hi open your terminal and do this

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update

and let us know what you got.
All the best man.

iamnoob
February 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
i was experimenting and i again changed preferences of update manager to main server now its downloading package information lets what happens after downloading then i'll run the command. i'll update you soon

iamnoob
February 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM
i was experimenting and i again changed preferences of update manager to main server now its downloading package information lets what happens after downloading then i'll run the command. i'll update you soon
after downloading now this error occured

"E: Encountered a section with no Package: header
E: Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/archive.canonical.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_partner_b inary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

"

iamnoob
February 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hi open your terminal and do this

sudo rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/*
sudo apt-get update

and let us know what you got.
All the best man.
thanks a lot Sir . it worked. no probs anymore with any package manager.

raja.genupula
February 3rd, 2012, 03:58 PM
Hi you welcome , please mark the thread as solved from thread tools.

Thank you .

iamnoob
February 4th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hi you welcome , please mark the thread as solved from thread tools.

Thank you .
marked.. thanks. :)