PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unsuccessfull download of web browsers.

Sofo
February 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have tried downloading Google Chrome and Opera for ubuntu, but each time i click the deb-file the sofware center returns with an internal error.
What could be wrong?

haqking
February 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM
I have tried downloading Google Chrome and Opera for ubuntu, but each time i open the software center to install i get an invalid file when opening the deb-file.
What is wrong?

likely to be corrupt downloads or wrong architecture maybe.

compare the hash to see if downloaded file is same as source

also if you have downloaded the .debs then double click them no need to open software centre unless you are installing from the repos

cheers

satanselbow
February 3rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
Where did you download them from? And what is the exact error?

Copy/paste the exact error would be more helpful than an abridged description of it ;)

doobrie
February 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I have tried downloading Google Chrome and Opera for ubuntu, but each time i open the software center to install i get an invalid file when opening the deb-file.
What is wrong?

Are you installing directly from the Software Centre, or are you manually installing a .deb file?

What's the error that you are getting?

Bucky Ball
February 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
Are you installing directly from the Software Centre, or are you manually installing a .deb file?

+1. Download them straight from Software Centre. That way it will be tailored to your release and architecture. Don't bother about downloading the debs manually and then installing. Not quite like Windows that way. ;)

haqking
February 3rd, 2012, 01:42 PM
+1. Download them straight from Software Centre. That way it will be tailored to your release and architecture. Don't bother about downloading the debs manually and then installing. Not quite like Windows that way. ;)

edit: whoops replied thinking it was a different thread than it was ;-)

Cheers

Sofo
February 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM
I ran a general software update for Ubuntu and now the installation works.
Now the problem is: where did Google Chrome go? I see no icons anywhere and nothin like the Windows startfolder?

haqking
February 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
I ran a general software update for Ubuntu and now the installation works.
Now the problem is: where did Google Chrome go? I see no icons anywhere and nothin like the Windows startfolder?

/opt/google

make a shortcut to it

Cheers

Sofo
February 3rd, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hmm. It seems like user friendlyness somehow vanished upon installation of Ubuntu.

satanselbow
February 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
Hmm. It seems like user friendlyness somehow vanished upon installation of Ubuntu.

I've experienced plenty of failed software installations on Windows in my time ;)

You haven't actually answered any of the questions put to you - which would make solving your problem much simpler.

Where did you download the browsers from? And what steps exactly have you tried to install them?

Sofo
February 3rd, 2012, 09:51 PM
I downloaded the deb.file from the net. I clicked on it and finally got the message that it was installed.
Now my only question is: where dies it hide and why is it hiding? Userfriendlyness would indicate that there was an icon i could click on somewhere and drag to the taskbar. Why hiding souch obvious things upon installation?

haqking
February 3rd, 2012, 10:09 PM
I downloaded the deb.file from the net. I clicked on it and finally got the message that it was installed.
Now my only question is: where dies it hide and why is it hiding? Userfriendlyness would indicate that there was an icon i could click on somewhere and drag to the taskbar. Why hiding souch obvious things upon installation?

i already told you where it is, and where it is and goes is often down to the installer.

/opt/google/chrome

or

usr/bin/google-chrome

or you can use

whereis google-chrome

Complain to google about your free browser in your free operating system ;-)

also you can read the other similar posted threads about this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1476465
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1800423&page=2
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1586140

Peace

Sofo
February 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Hello satanselbow. I downloaded Chrome from: http://www.google.de/chrome?hl=da&platform=linux_ubuntu_i386#eula
Clicked the deb-file. Software center opens and i get an install successful message, but no info on where it went and no clickable icon.

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Hello satanselbow. I downloaded Chrome from: http://www.google.de/chrome?hl=da&platform=linux_ubuntu_i386#eula
Clicked the deb-file. Software center opens and i get an install successful message, but no info on where it went and no clickable icon.

as i have already written twice now and this being the third time.

whereis google-chrome

or if you dont want to search for it it is likely in

/opt/google/google-chrome

or

/usr/bin/google-chrome

howefield
February 5th, 2012, 12:23 PM
i get an install successful message, but no info on where it went and no clickable icon.

Are you running the Unity interface ?

If so, open the Dash and search for Chrome, you can drag it to the launcher where it will stay.

Sofo
February 5th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Well commandlines died for me at least 10 years ago.
If thats how Ubuntu works its not for me.

Bye Ubuntu.

haqking
February 5th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Well commandlines died for me at least 10 years ago.
If thats how Ubuntu works its not for me.

Bye Ubuntu.

you dont need to use the command line to navigate to where i told you it would be, or use the dash if in Unity like howefeld said above me. and those commands and locations are the same whatever version of linux you use, if you dont like linux or its commands then dont use it, and in Windows there is still the command prompt for power users.

However use what works for you or what you can make work

Peace