PDA

View Full Version : Need help to determine how much to pay for a used laptop

sefs
February 2nd, 2012, 09:56 PM
How much would you pay for the laptop below.

Manufacturer - Toshiba Tecra A9-S9019X
Year - 2010
RAM - 2GB
Processor - Intel - Core 2 Duo (Jun2006)
Processor Speed - 2.4 GHz
HDD - 160GB
CD Drive - DVD DL RW
Graphics Card - Integrated
Components - Bluetooth
- Fingerprint Reader
Battery Condition - Good
Screen Condition - Dead/Cracked (needs external monitor)
Other Parts (Keyboard /Mouse) Condition - Working
Remaining Warranty Period - Expired

I am wanting to buy it, and the person asked to make them an offer but I don't know what offer to make.

The year of release of this laptop I am not sure about but they said 2 years ago they got it. If anyone knows the year of release let me know.

My question is though how much would you pay for this.

Thanks.

BC59
February 2nd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Why don't you try find the same model in ebay to check the price?

|{urse
February 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Since the screen is cracked, no more than $200us.

Colo2
February 2nd, 2012, 10:09 PM
Dead scrn, slightly outdated parts and used.

I suppose, depending on the age, roughly 150 EUR? That's like, 125 GPB, and 200$

He must have given you a "ball park" to give you a general idea?

snowpine
February 2nd, 2012, 10:21 PM
Research the price to replace the screen (parts & labor) and then subtract that from your reasonable offer. The total is probably in the $0-100 range (and the seller probably knows this).

But if the laptop was dropped/crushed hard enough to break the screen, then it may have other problems as well. Personally I would walk away, unless the seller is known/trusted and has a generous return policy.

haqking
February 2nd, 2012, 10:22 PM
i wouldnt pay no more than £75 for that with a dead screen or $125 or so bucks in USA

brand new around that spec or used working ones on ebay are not expensive, you can get a brand new one with higher spec at about £300 these days in the right deal

stalkingwolf
February 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
i would say not more than 150.00 $ . Also check pawn shops see what something similar is going for. and craigs list .

sefs
February 2nd, 2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks, this is helpful info.

Will also check out the ebay tip.

coffee412
February 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM
Offer him 50 bucks. Your going to buy something of questionable quality. Your going to spend 150 bucks on a new screen. Tell him that a laptop in that condition normally sells on ebay for parts because screens are expensive. No one bothers to get them fixed.

If and when you do get the laptop just buy the correct screen off ebay and do it yourself. Its not really all that hard. Plenty of vids on utube about replacing screens and stuff.

But dont spend alot. You want to be able to get your investment back if the MB is screwed up or something similar. If you buy it and things are bad then part it out and sell it on ebay.

coffee

collisionystm
February 3rd, 2012, 12:02 AM
offer the person 50 to 100 bucks

get a new screen on

www.screencountry.com

I have ordered from them 5 times now and they are the best. Very good prices.

|{urse
February 3rd, 2012, 12:12 AM
Yeah start out at $50, he's still getting a deal at that. My originally posted price was less ($100), I upped it when I saw that replacement screens were pretty cheap and easy to find.

Copper Bezel
February 3rd, 2012, 12:14 AM
Haqking's right in terms of what to expect to pay - when I've looked for a very similar laptop (same specs) in this condition on eBay, they've been in the $100-$150 USD range, and that was about a year ago. If it's a situation where haggling is the expectation, your opening offer shouldn't be more than $100 USD.

sefs
February 22nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
... So in conclusion I bought it for USD 107.00, and was able to get a screen for USD 85.00, bringing this whole little project to a grand total of 192 USD.

What I have now is a very responsive laptop and the build is quite sturdy. Apparently it is one of Toshiba's "business" class tecra laptops. Very surprised at how fast it is giving this is 2007 tech.

I am very pleased with the purchase.

Copper Bezel
February 22nd, 2012, 03:09 AM
Very cool! = )