PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Product Box!

urix
March 11th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Hey,

Im new to ubuntu but i have been using unix systems for the past 5 y ears, i recently installed ubuntu onto my laptop for testing and i am 90% convinced i will be installing it on my workstation in the next few days despite the few problems i have had for example not booting x on startup etc.

Anyway i created this in my spare time. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.sheeptheory.com/files/ubuntubox.jpg

stateq2
March 11th, 2005, 02:25 AM
nice work :)

bored2k
March 11th, 2005, 02:56 AM
nice work :)
Word.

Maybe you should add "It just works." or something?

sheepdog
March 11th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Nice. I like the two tone colour fade on the box.

telmo
March 11th, 2005, 03:08 AM
Don't forget to add: linux for human beings
:)

It looks pretty good!

daniels
March 11th, 2005, 03:10 AM
My main comment would be that it shows nothing of what Ubuntu actually is. What's going to convince me to buy this if I just see this in a bookstore?

urix
March 11th, 2005, 03:15 AM
Thanks for the input everyone, i am doing a reworked version right now! any input would be greatly appreciated.

somuchfortheafter
March 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
how about one of those lil system requirement boxes and include somthing funny idk offhand but im sure there are more creative people out here.

urix
March 12th, 2005, 02:00 AM
Hey again guys / gals.

I have done an updated box:

http://www.sheeptheory.com/files/ubuntubox2.jpg

If any of you have some more input it would be fantastic to hear.

grendelkhan
March 12th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Gimme!

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 03:55 AM
Hey again guys / gals.

I have done an updated box:

http://www.sheeptheory.com/files/ubuntubox2.jpg

If any of you have some more input it would be fantastic to hear.
Viewtiful . simple as that.

I wish I had a CD template like that to make everyone drool just by the cover lol.

Get the joke? "dont judge a book by it covers?" well "you can judge ubuntu by the cover" lol...

*OK sorry for the bad joke im going to my happy place now... :(

urix
March 12th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Hi again.

I have made a simple yet effective desktop wallpaper (1024x768) to accompany this box.

Here it is (high res png)

http://www.sheeptheory.com/files/ubuntuwallpaper.png

mridul
March 12th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Hey,

Im new to ubuntu but i have been using unix systems for the past 5 y ears, i recently installed ubuntu onto my laptop for testing and i am 90% convinced i will be installing it on my workstation in the next few days despite the few problems i have had for example not booting x on startup etc.

Anyway i created this in my spare time. I hope you enjoy it.

http://www.sheeptheory.com/files/ubuntubox.jpg
Nice work man

bored2k
March 12th, 2005, 05:28 AM
urix I thought you should come in contact with the developpers, they might like your ideas ;).

urix
March 12th, 2005, 05:33 AM
sounds like a plan to me bored2k, any information of who to contact etc? or maybe just point them towards this thread.

Cheers for the support guys

flaming_monkey
March 12th, 2005, 11:07 PM
I really like what you did with the box art, good job. It inspired me learn UV texturing in Blender, and here's the result.

http://img217.exs.cx/img217/2036/ubuntuboxrender014fh.jpg

Keito
March 12th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Very nice, I share your picture with people of Ubuntu-Fr

urix
March 12th, 2005, 11:24 PM
I like that alot, the perspective you have taken (looking up) fits the colours perfectly. Also i love the way you have made use of white space and the circular gradiant.

On a side note the shadow is a tad off but it still looks good and i would also say maybe fade the reflection a tad more, it seems the red is just a little to overpowering .

flaming_monkey
March 12th, 2005, 11:40 PM
I like that alot, the perspective you have taken (looking up) fits the colours perfectly. Also i love the way you have made use of white space and the circular gradiant.

On a side note the shadow is a tad off but it still looks good and i would also say maybe fade the reflection a tad more, it seems the red is just a little to overpowering .
Thanks for the criticisms, it's the only way I'll improve. I agree the shadow looks wrong and I was fiddling with the reflection for some time with little success. I'll play around with some lighter fades.

Any suggestions for additional box content, as I think it looks bare at the moment. Also, do you think the red border is too small?

domtar
March 12th, 2005, 11:52 PM
I like the red border. I think you can achieve a bigger look by making the white trim above the red border a liitle smaller.

saBrEwolf
March 13th, 2005, 12:27 AM
I like the red border. I think you can achieve a bigger look by making the white trim above the red border a liitle smaller.
Hey guys, here's a bright idea, have you heard of the Mini-ITX format for computers?
Hows about printing that box and putting a computer in it?
Then you really could have an "ubuntu box"

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/?page=4

Note: Don't be fooled by the URL, have a look...

panickedthumb
March 13th, 2005, 12:47 AM
I'd be very concerned putting a fully functional computer inside a cardboard box. Though he says the cooling works well, if anything bad happens that causes a spark, you could be seriously screwed.

That being said, it's still really freakin' cool!

saBrEwolf
March 13th, 2005, 02:20 AM
I'd be very concerned putting a fully functional computer inside a cardboard box. Though he says the cooling works well, if anything bad happens that causes a spark, you could be seriously screwed.

That being said, it's still really freakin' cool!
Last time I read it, I think he said there was some kind of plastic frame or something inside the box surrounding (although this could be a random thought from another project) so I think sparks wouldn't be a problems... :)

Its amazin' :D

flaming_monkey
March 13th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Updated version...

http://img166.exs.cx/img166/5065/ubuntuboxrender021lj.jpg

http://img19.exs.cx/img19/4301/ubuntuboxrender031js.jpg

RastaMahata
March 13th, 2005, 05:37 AM
I dont know if the "it just works" tagline is right for ubuntu... I mean, the actual tagline is "linux for human beings" ;)

somuchfortheafter
March 13th, 2005, 01:56 PM
but thats lame lol, it just works has a nice sound to it, attracts people......

panickedthumb
March 13th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Yes but if it doesn't just work for them, is that false advertising?

Buffalo Soldier
March 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yes but if it doesn't just work for them, is that false advertising?
I agree. If we start promising something we can't deliver, new users will lose their trust.

After they've gone back to Windows, other GNU/Linux distro or any other OS... it will be hard to attract them back here. Even if we do have genuine advantage, 'cause the trust is lost.

kassetra
March 14th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Hows about printing that box and putting a computer in it?
Then you really could have an "ubuntu box"

I think if I were going to go through all of the trouble of making a custom ubuntu-based case for my computer...

I would make mine translucent colored plastic in the shape & colors of the ubuntu logo.

Then it could stand on my desk as artwork. heh. Oooh oooh! And I'd add lots of leds and stuffs...

MetalMusicAddict
March 14th, 2005, 12:11 AM
I think if I were going to go through all of the trouble of making a custom ubuntu-based case for my computer...

I would make mine translucent colored plastic in the shape & colors of the ubuntu logo.

Then it could stand on my desk as artwork. heh. Oooh oooh! And I'd add lots of leds and stuffs...
The only messed up thing about plastic ie: plexiglass is that it builds a static charge and attracts dust.

Im lookin into buldiing a mini-itx Ubuntu box. The only thing is that I cant use a nVidia gfx card. Maybe Ill go Mini-ATX. I use one on my HTPC. Its pretty small. ;)

I love all the art in the thread guys. I saved and am gonna use as walls and icons. :)

kassetra
March 14th, 2005, 01:56 AM
The only messed up thing about plastic ie: plexiglass is that it builds a static charge and attracts dust.

Im lookin into buldiing a mini-itx Ubuntu box. The only thing is that I cant use a nVidia gfx card. Maybe Ill go Mini-ATX. I use one on my HTPC. Its pretty small. ;)

I love all the art in the thread guys. I saved and am gonna use as walls and icons. :)

Well, I've actually looked into getting specially coated acrylic made for computer cases before, so that kills the static charge problem. Dust however, that's a problem with all computers. heh. Acrylic just shows more. So I'd be vacuuming the case out a lot, just like I do now. heh.

`Mrk
March 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM
That box looks just awesome! I think it would attract people to try Ubuntu... :wink:

ctt1wbw
March 15th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Word.

Maybe you should add "It just works." or something?

How about "It just works... for free."

rykel
March 22nd, 2005, 06:21 PM
wow, u guys did those boxes with blender?

really cool!!

hv u got one which i can print on my cd too?

Jad
March 22nd, 2005, 06:29 PM
great work man!

basse1989
March 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Nice work.
But I really think you should change to "linux for human bieings" and change from "Ubuntu Hoary Edition" to something like "Ubuntu 5.04 Hoary". "Ubuntu Hoary Edition" sounds like some lame version of windows...