PDA

View Full Version : Winamp Like Features in a Ubuntu Application?

Shadow of Chaos
February 2nd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Alright, just to clarify, here's what I mean: I don't care about appearance (In so much- I prefer something that has a miniature window, but it's not a requirement), but I need something that either has a large list of music support types (To wit: I use everything from mp3 to TTA and APE- Everything and it's mother supports FLAC now, but my research hasn't discovered anything that either natively supports TTA/APE or does it with some easy to find plugin.), or has a decent supply of plugins to enable this. I would also like it to have .cue support if at all possible. Thanks for anyone who can help- I tried a few that have been touted as having a "easy to use plugin interface," but couldn't even find plugins for them.

haqking
February 2nd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Alright, just to clarify, here's what I mean: I don't care about appearance (In so much- I prefer something that has a miniature window, but it's not a requirement), but I need something that either has a large list of music support types (To wit: I use everything from mp3 to TTA and APE- Everything and it's mother supports FLAC now, but my research hasn't discovered anything that either natively supports TTA/APE or does it with some easy to find plugin.), or has a decent supply of plugins to enable this. I would also like it to have .cue support if at all possible. Thanks for anyone who can help- I tried a few that have been touted as having a "easy to use plugin interface," but couldn't even find plugins for them.

I use clementine and deadbeef, never found anything not supported.

TTA is supported with any gstreamer based player, not sure about APE, not familiar with it or do you mean monkey audio ?

if you do mean monkey audio then read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey's_Audio#Supported_platforms

but clementine plays everything for me, i have over 200Gb music in various formats and never had an issue.

You could always re-encode

sir.sargento
February 2nd, 2012, 07:40 PM
+1 for clementine! I love it. best audio program I've come across for linux so far.

Shadow of Chaos
February 2nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
Ah, Clementine looks good, thanks. Yeah, I meant Monkey Audio... I just picked up the habit of calling it by it's file extension rather than what it's application name is. Didn't know calling it Monkey Audio was the standard.

Anyway, which of those that have been mentioned (Deadbeef and Clementine) are gstream based? I'm afraid I don't really know how to check that (Or what it means, outside of "it uses gstream to produce it's audio" or something of the like).

(Also, why on earth doesn't this forum parse next line commands as "br /" on it's own? Makes readability a pain).