PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] glitchy installs

larjan
February 2nd, 2012, 05:25 PM
Though there are certainly many things that can cause problems on an install, I can't help but wonder how many of them are just caused buy a bad download or cd burn. I have had two installs that had various issues, and in both cases, the md5 checksum was wrong. I didn't think to check it until after the fact. In one case I had fixed most of the problems, but was curios as to why I had them in the first place. So, if you check your download ( before you burn it or load it to a flash drive) and check it again, after you burn it, you could save yourself alot of aggravation

jerrrys
February 4th, 2012, 02:23 AM
For me its easy to get sloppy. Bad downloads are so rare, I would not bother with it. But that will not happen since I use "k3b" and checksums are displayed when you burn a disk and the burn itself is also verified.

larjan
February 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
I was using brasero at the time which doesn't display checksums. I switched to k3b as well for that as well as other reasons. I use a flash drive for os's now, because it's faster performing running live than a disc is.