PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Drivers for new PC

motorcity909
February 2nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Hi all

Aplogies for the newbie question but I've just taken delivery of a new PC and will be installing Xubuntu on it over the weekend. In the box were driver CDs for the motherboard and graphics card.

When I first installed Ubuntu in 2009 it was over XP on a machine my father in law built for me and I didn't have to do anything in the way of drivers, it just worked.

Am I right in saying the kernel contains the drivers I need or do I need to download anything off the Asus and Nvidia websites first?

Apologies again for the newbie question.

Thanks
Dave

searchfgold6789
February 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Well, that depends. It would pay to simply try it out and see what works.
If you want to know for sure, you can look google the machine for ubuntu compatibility, or post the specs of it here to see if any of us think that it's likely it will need drivers installed.

motorcity909
February 2nd, 2012, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I've booted the new machine from a Xubuntu 64-bit Live CD and all was well, full graphical desktop, no problems. :)

Full install will take place when I've got more time at the weekend.

For info, the spec is:

Asus M5A78L-M LX motherboard
AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Quad Core AM3+ 3.6GHz
8GB DDR3 RAM @13333mhz
1GB NVidia GT430 Graphics Card
1TB Hard Drive

Thanks
Dave

searchfgold6789
February 2nd, 2012, 05:46 PM
You'll want extra drivers for the Graphics card; if they're not installed automatically, you can install them very easily using the Additional Drivers program.
Happy I could help.
- search

motorcity909
February 2nd, 2012, 05:59 PM
Will do, figured I would especially once I install Compiz.

Been two months without Linux after my old PC died, been using a modest XP netbook so can't wait to be back. Xubuntu should fly on this new machine. I know Xubuntu is intended for old low-spec machines but I'm not a Unity/Gnome 3 fan and Xubuntu gives me back that traditional desktop.

Thanks for the assurance today.

Dave

motorcity909
February 4th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Just thought I'd post back, Xubuntu installed without a hitch on my new PC, Nvidia drivers automatically added with no problems.

And they say this Linux thing is more difficult than Windows...!