PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is there a Turbo C for linux ubuntu 11.10?

shreyas_patel21
February 2nd, 2012, 07:35 AM
Hi all

is there any program like turbo C in ubuntu 11.10 in which we can compile and run C code?

TheFu
February 2nd, 2012, 09:01 AM
gcc is the C compiler.
If you want a lite IDE, I can recommend Geany, but lots of C programmers use vi or emacs too.

Back when I was a professional C/C++ dev, we generally use an editor, like vi, a separate debugger, gdb, and a separate build tool - called "make".

I'm fairly certain there are turbo-C like IDEs available, but they will make calls to the external tools - make, gdb, gcc.
I'd search here http://freecode.com/search?q=IDE&submit=Search to find lots of IDE options.

shashankvatedka
February 2nd, 2012, 09:07 AM
Hi,

Linux has a built in C compiler and you don't need any additional software. Lets say you want to create a program called filename.c.
Just open a terminal and type

user-desktop:~$ gedit filename.c

The editor opens wherein you can type your program. After saving the file, go back to the terminal to compile your file. Use

user-desktop:~$ gcc -o filename filename.c

To run the file just use

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ ./filename

Instead of gcc, you can also use

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ cc filename.c

To run the file, type

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ ./a.out

Hope this helps! :D

shreyas_patel21
February 4th, 2012, 08:35 PM
thank you shashank..

I compiled it successfully but i am not able to run it

should I write $ ./hello.c to run hello.c?

shreyas_patel21
February 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM
thank you again I run it successfully.

sherlock007
November 4th, 2012, 01:54 PM
can any one help me on this problem.... When i run the exe file, a pop up message for me is .. Here is the message below...

"The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher. "

Impavidus
November 4th, 2012, 02:47 PM
First of all you should have started a new thread in the progammer talk subforum instead of adding a reply to this thread.

Next, do I understand correctly that you compiled a program using ubuntu, named it a .exe and then tried to run it on windows? That won't work, the system requires a different format. You will need a cross compiler.

shailendra kumar
November 7th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hi,

Linux has a built in C compiler and you don't need any additional software. Lets say you want to create a program called filename.c.
Just open a terminal and type

user-desktop:~$ gedit filename.c

The editor opens wherein you can type your program. After saving the file, go back to the terminal to compile your file. Use

user-desktop:~$ gcc -o filename filename.c

To run the file just use

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ ./filename

Instead of gcc, you can also use

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ cc filename.c

To run the file, type

shashank@smart-desktop:~$ ./a.out

Hope this helps! :D

Dear Friend,
From where I open terminal, since I am new to UBUNTU. Can you suggest me!