PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I badly need help

Lucian25
February 2nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
I have an old PC,.. it has 2gig celeron processor and 256RAM memory. I'm getting tired of using XP because its to slow in my Machine and now I decided to use Ubuntu, am I gonna have any problem running Ubuntu 10.04 using only 256RAM? or it would be better for me to use xubuntu?

I'm open for advises,...Thanks in advance.

KBD47
February 2nd, 2012, 07:00 AM
If you are tired of 'slow' I'd recommend Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Lubuntu will be fast and light with those specs IMO. but best to try live cd or live usb to make sure everything plays together well with your computer before installing.
KBD47

Lucian25
February 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM
I see, I have another 256RAM memory but the problem is everytime i use it together with my OLD 256RAM my system automatically shutdown. that's with Windows XP do you think I will be having that same problem with Ubuntu?

Lucian25
February 2nd, 2012, 07:24 AM
I apologize for my manners, Thanks for the Advise!

ottosykora
February 2nd, 2012, 07:29 AM
I see, I have another 256RAM memory but the problem is everytime i use it together with my OLD 256RAM my system automatically shutdown. that's with Windows XP do you think I will be having that same problem with Ubuntu?

probably yes, when mem modules are broken or not compatible to the main board or to each other, main board will shut down.

I did not manage to install any ubuntu with 256ram, boots from CD, but install will fail.

I just about managed xubuntu to install on such system. To be able to use it really, I had to make it 512ram first.

Lucian25
February 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
probably yes, when mem modules are broken or not compatible to the main board or to each other, main board will shut down.

I did not manage to install any ubuntu with 256ram, boots from CD, but install will fail.

I just about managed xubuntu to install on such system. To be able to use it really, I had to make it 512ram first.

How will I now if my memory is not compatible with my board?

Thanks much! I just downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 now, I better start downloading Xububtu, sorry to bother but whats the best link to download XUBUNTU?

Thanks for you advise again!

ottosykora
February 2nd, 2012, 07:46 AM
get lubuntu for that system.

for your main board, there are clear specification as what ram it does support exactly. And you have to obtain this type of ram , not any. The info you have to get from the main board manufacturer, the manufacturer of the computer etc.
If it is such old computer, you can not use any new ram modules with it, it has to be what the manufacturer prescribes. This means it can be rather expensive, as such modules are not manufactured in large numbers any more and tend to be 10x to 20x or even more expensive then ram modules for the current technology.

you could also boot from some light system like partedmagic and run memtest from it, it might show if ram defective.

Lucian25
February 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
get lubuntu for that system.

for your main board, there are clear specification as what ram it does support exactly. And you have to obtain this type of ram , not any. The info you have to get from the main board manufacturer, the manufacturer of the computer etc.
If it is such old computer, you can not use any new ram modules with it, it has to be what the manufacturer prescribes. This means it can be rather expensive, as such modules are not manufactured in large numbers any more and tend to be 10x to 20x or even more expensive then ram modules for the current technology.

you could also boot from some light system like partedmagic and run memtest from it, it might show if ram defective.

Thank you so much, I will try it now,.. I having hard time with this since yesterday,.. Thanks again I will try it now,..

mastablasta
February 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
i have a similar oldie.

Ubuntu 10.04 will work but slow. it worked fine when it came out but certain updates made it slow.

Xubuntu didn't do much better, though it was a bit faster.

Lubuntu should work very well however there is a bug that crashes the graphics installer (on 256MB or less). the alternate CD with text based installer should work.

I am currently using Chrunchbang (but the previous image not latest one), which is based on Debian stable XFCE and has a bit older programmes. install is quite user friendly. but post install might be a bit demanding. it uses about 70-80 MB on boot.

however Lubuntu (and Xubuntu) is probably more user friendly and i would suggest you try that one first.

ottosykora
February 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
>however there is a bug that crashes the graphics installer (on 256MB or less)<

oh yes, right, I was able to install and run it after, but the install was with the alternate CD. Trying to install from the normal gui cd did crash at some point during the installation.