PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] External display doesn't work after installation

zuko9
February 1st, 2012, 10:16 PM
Have just installed Ubuntu on my half-dead laptop, screen and HDD are gone, so decided to install Ubuntu on external HDD with external screen connected. All worked fine, no problems during installation, but after it finished installing can't operate the system. Ubuntu ignores the external display (even with closed laptop's lid). System is on, but can't see anything at all.

Terminal works in recovery mode. Is there any way to make this work?

Thanks a lot!

EDIT

The external screen works fine on the system run from USB, but after installation screen stopped displaying - "No video available"

BC59
February 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
Did you try installing the proprietary drivers for your graphics card?

zuko9
February 1st, 2012, 10:58 PM
No I haven't thought it should work just fine as it worked during installation and on USB.

How do I install it?

BC59
February 1st, 2012, 11:01 PM
If there is an option for installing drivers you have to install them through the application Additional Drivers (Jockey).

zuko9
February 1st, 2012, 11:06 PM
During installation it never asked for any additional drivers. Also I'm unable to do anything as when it launches into X11 the screen disconnects.

Maybe I should try this:
http://willem.engen.nl/projects/disper/

Or is there a way to edit xorg.conf that it'd boot with 2nd screen on and would continue to have it on when Ubuntu starts?

zuko9
February 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
Still no luck. Tried connecting to internet through pppoeconf and ifconf wlan0 but doesn't work.

Any ideas how to make that screen work?