PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Big improvement in Gnome3 using latest ATI video driver

bcarlowise
February 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
I noticed yesterday that ATI release a new driver on 1/25. I uninstalled my previous proprietary ATI video driver (fglrx_8.920-0ubuntu1_amd64) and installed the latest version (fglrx_8.930-0ubuntu1_amd64) using the instructions provided here:

http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Oneiric_Installation_Guide#Installing_Catal yst_Manually_.28from_AMD.2FATI.27s_site.29

The new driver is a huge improvement. The Gnome3 desktop is now flickr free and mostly stable. I played around with it for a few hours and was mostly pleased with the performance. It does seem a bit faster than Unity but it does still have some stability issues. Applications and windows seemed to open faster in Gnome3 (e.g. browser launch, Software Center, terminal window, etc) but I was able to basically cause Gnome3 to "freeze" while using Firefox and manipulating several windows. At first the desktop would flickr and then reset (redisplaying the windows/apps I had open) but after several occurrences, the apps/windows just sort of froze and I had to ctl-alt-F3 and terminate gnome-session. That was a big disappointment because I really enjoy Gnome3 and like using it but I am at least happy to see that it is mostly usable now and quite fast using teh proprietary ATI video driver. Has anyone else tried it out?