PDA

View Full Version : Which socket 1155 motherboard manufacturer has the best Linux support?

SemiExpert
January 31st, 2012, 11:41 PM
I guess the question is simple: Which socket 1155 motherboard manufacturer has the best support for Linux, namely in terms of BIOS updates that can be installed with a Windows OS?

waloshin
January 31st, 2012, 11:42 PM
I guess the question is simple: Which socket 1155 motherboard manufacturer has the best support for Linux, namely in terms of BIOS updates that can be installed with a Windows OS?

Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Intel and Nvidia.

Lucradia
February 1st, 2012, 03:40 AM
NVIDIA Makes consumer desktop and laptop motherboards?

3Miro
February 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
Nvidia used to make a lot of Mobos and chipsets, but now they have pulled out. They claim low demand for AMD and they had a legal issues with Intel.

For Intel, your best bet it an Intel chipset. I have had 4 Gigabyte mobos with AMD chips and AMD CPUs, and I am very happy with their Linux support. I would expect their Intel + Linux support to be equally good.

The only other brand that I have used is EVGA, I got a mobo and a video card of theirs back in 2007. The mobo died in 6 months and the video card in 10, I have not bought EVGA since. I cannot attest to other brands of motherboards.