PDA

View Full Version : Found some computer stuff this weekend...

Zerocool Djx
January 31st, 2012, 05:35 PM
So While taking out the trash, a complete old iMac sitting outside on the ground, along with a 18" flat screen monitor, 2 CD/RW drives (1 being a light scribe) a busted up Toshiba Laptop that I'll part out and the power supply for that, 2 mother boards both ATX I think one has a T462 socket and he other has a 939 socket with a 2.2Ghz single core processor still on it. I also found a few CPU heat sinks and fans.

So short of some power supplies and some ram, I could make a pretty sick home router with a 2.2 ghz processor, lol.... joking

Anyway back to the iMac..

While I am not huge fan of Mac products I think I can polish this thing up and do something better then tossing it in the trash. The problem is with it it has iOS of 10.4 which a lot of things don't support, and to get the upgrade is like $30 from the mac store.

So, I had a few options was thinking about of what to do with it. Let me try posting a poll..

Hmm Can't find the poll button..

Anyway, here is what I was thinking..

Option 1.

Leave it as is, sell it cheap...

Option 2.

Polish it up and put Ubuntu on it, free upgrades!

Option 3.

Send it to "Is it a good idea to microwave this?" Guys

If anyone has any idea what good the other stuff could be used for let me know :)

chughes27
January 31st, 2012, 05:52 PM
If you find OS X 10.4 unreliable and don't want to spend anything on an upgrade, I would say go for Ubuntu. It's a great operating system if you want to re-vamp you old computer.

sffvba[e0rt
January 31st, 2012, 05:57 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Not a support question.

Zerocool Djx
January 31st, 2012, 06:10 PM
Walks into the Cafe... hmm how'd I get here?

Lars Noodén
January 31st, 2012, 09:33 PM
If it's one of the old, PPC-based ones, you can get the PPC version of Ubuntu and variants here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

You may wish for extra RAM, but otherwise it runs quite well. Also, Xubuntu seems missing, so if you want that, you'll have to do a minimal install of something else and then add the package xubuntu-desktop

Copper Bezel
January 31st, 2012, 10:48 PM
Which generation is it - a G3 that someone upgraded, a G4, or one of the early Intel models that shipped with 10.4?

Edit: I mean, reselling it is going to depend on its condition, too, but it's good to know what we're talking about. A banged-up G3 is a nice case mod for a hamster cage, a G4 might be worth playing with and might be worth selling, too, and one of the early Intel models could still run a modern OS.

BrokenKingpin
January 31st, 2012, 11:05 PM
Option 4... leave it in the garbage.

doorknob60
February 1st, 2012, 03:04 AM
I'd go with #2. #1 you won't be able to get much money off of it (though I don't know the specs or how old it actually is, that makes a difference). #3? Good idea, but they cancelled the microwave show after their last season :(