PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my gnome doesn't work

sistyN
January 31st, 2012, 04:29 PM
after boot , i just can login in tty , how can i active gnome ?

Ecip
January 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 doesn't come with gnome. It's all unity now. It's really too bad, I can't stand unity... I'd love to see a proper gnome desktop in later ubuntu releases.
You can still install gnome, have a look at the stickies.
Unfortunately if gnome is.forever no more in ubuntu I might switch to debian which seems to still use gnome and support it for many more years.

Bobhuber
January 31st, 2012, 10:04 PM
Ubuntu 11.10 doesn't come with gnome. It's all unity now. It's really too bad, I can't stand unity... I'd love to see a proper gnome desktop in later ubuntu releases.
You can still install gnome, have a look at the stickies.
Unfortunately if gnome is.forever no more in ubuntu I might switch to debian which seems to still use gnome and support it for many more years.
What are you talking about ? You have 3 different desktops you can install in 11.10 including gnome classic and gnome 3.

Frogs Hair
January 31st, 2012, 10:32 PM
If you install the Gnome Shell from the software center Classic Gnome comes with it. If you don't want the shell see this thread . http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1859960

sistyN
February 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM
I already have gnome 3 , but few days ago i just can login with tty , wtf happend to gnome , is there any command to reactive it or i must reinstall ubuntu ?

lolpenguin
February 2nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
sudo lightdm then enter your password.
Unless your X Server is broken.

Frogs Hair
February 2nd, 2012, 03:34 PM
If you want Gnome 2 you will need to reinstall an older version as written by Esip.