PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Lacking Plugins?

Raevyn
January 31st, 2012, 05:44 AM
Hello

So I was using Ubuntu 10.10 for a while and just now decided to wipe that and install Kubuntu 11.10 and TDE, as I prefer K. I installed Firefox and noticed I dont have sound playing from Youtube videos (though I do have working sound as I can play music and video files). When I looked to see if I have the plug-in installed, I noticed that I have only two now. They are Shockwave and Skype! I had many others in my original installation so I am wondering if they others are not installed anymore with 11.10? Is there a way to get them? I can install Ubuntu 10.10 virtually and pull those plug-ins out to my host machine as well IF i knew where those global plug-ins install.

Is anyone having this issue or know how I can resolve them?

Frogs Hair
January 31st, 2012, 03:49 PM
At least in Ubuntu the restricted extras including flash , plug-ins , and codec/s have always had to be installed post installation . I think there is a Kubuntu restricted extras package in the repository / software center .

Raevyn
January 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM
I did install them but from what i can tell the plugins arent installing.

I am attaching a screenshot of what seems to be normally installed as a plugin with 10.10. Does anyone know where these reside in the file system? I should be able to copy them over.

Raevyn
January 31st, 2012, 11:06 PM
You know I figured this out.

These plugins get installed when you install Totem with its additions. That must be why Kubuntu doesnt come with them since Totem is gtk software?

I believe this should be changed.. I dont use or like Totem yet, I have to have it to get my plugins? That seems silly..

Frogs Hair
January 31st, 2012, 11:28 PM
If you mean browser plug-ins you may need them regardless . I have a Quicktime , Windows media player compatible , and a VLC plug-ins , so that content can be streamed via the browser . I don't have WMP , Quicktime or VLC players installed though . There are other plug-ins not included with the restricted extras in the repository / software center .

Raevyn
January 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Well I got those same plugins installing Totem.

I do use VLC though. I find it a very capable player and seems to play almost anything out there :P

lovinglinux
February 1st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Well I got those same plugins installing Totem.

I do use VLC though. I find it a very capable player and seems to play almost anything out there :P

Although VLC is a supper application, the VLC Firefox plugin isn't. I don't like Totem either, but it works. I always rtemove Totem and install gecko-mediaplayer.

Raevyn
February 1st, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hm.. I havent heard of that one. Will it have conflicts with my currently installed plugins I got from totem/vlc but still play the formats?

lovinglinux
February 1st, 2012, 11:11 PM
Hm.. I havent heard of that one. Will it have conflicts with my currently installed plugins I got from totem/vlc but still play the formats?

They won't conflict, but depending on the media format, Firefox will select one plugin or the other. The best method is to disable the plugins you don't want to use.

Raevyn
February 3rd, 2012, 03:40 AM
Alright I shall give it a try thank you!