PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub Rescue prompt

publicimageltd
January 31st, 2012, 05:17 AM
Okay I may have screwed up my computer majorly but here it goes:

I was using a duel boot of Windows XP and Ubuntu under GRUB. I upgraded Ubuntu and it stopped being able to load. So I just started using Windows XP exclusively. My Windows XP was very slow and lagging so I tried to reinstall it from the reinstall feature built into my copy of Windows. Once I tried this... it wouldn't load and went to the grub rescue prompt when I started the computer up. So I thought if I just deleted the entire hard drive (most my files were backed up on an external hard drive anyway). I could start all over. I made a KillDisk boot on my USB drive and deleted my entire hard drive thinking this would correct the GRUB rescue prompt issue.
I then tried making a Ubuntu boot disk from my USB Stick and it still goes to the grub rescue prompt. (It won't show all of the top of the screen but there is some error that says something like "error: no such device. I can't read the rest but it appears to be a series of several numbers. That is then followed by the grub rescue command)

I also tried making a DOS boot disk from the USB drive to the same results too. (I have since lost my Windows Xp reinstall CD-Rom too sadly)

Lastly I tried making a boot disk on my USB drive for the program "Ultimate Boot CD" to see if I could somehow change the GRUB settings that way but I still got the "grub rescue" prompt.

I would like to be able to re-install Ubuntu on my drive but I am not sure how to bypass this Grub Rescue issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

bluexrider
January 31st, 2012, 05:36 AM
Do you have a copy of a Ubuntu Live CD/DVD if so you can reinstall without going through the grub rescue menu.