PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] What happened to my Gnome settings? (11.04->11.10)

romulusnr
January 30th, 2012, 11:57 PM
I made the mistake of upgrading 11.04 to 11.10. This process apparently deleted Gnome 2 and replaced it with Gnome 3.

I installed gnome-session-fallback, but when I go into the so-called "Classic" session, I've lost pretty much all of my customizations -- extra panels, launchers, applets, etc.

Where did they go? Did the upgrade go into my home folder and delete or overwrite my G2 configuration? (If so... seriously? That ain't right.)

How can I get gnome-session-fallback to use my G2 configuration?

(inb4 "you should just use unity it's awesum" or "you should use some other completely incompatible WM like {xfce,kwm,lxde}" or "you should get used to gnome 3 (aka your lost productivity)." tia.)

Frogs Hair
January 31st, 2012, 03:49 AM
The configuration was as you wrote over written . Gnome has ended support and development for Gnome 2 . It will be available in 10.04 , 11.04 other Linux distributions for while yet .

The fall-back session was meant to be a temporary addition at first , so not a lot of effort was put into it . There are ways to make the fall-back session more like Gnome 2 , just run a search .

To avoid any surprises In the future try the live cd or least read some reviews before installing . There is a Gnome 2 fork named 'Mate" available with Linux Mint and 11.10 via PPA .

lolpenguin
January 31st, 2012, 09:34 AM
GNOME Classic was intended only as a fallback. You can't get full GNOME 2 functionality, but you can come close. You might want to do a search for some classic indicator thing on WebUpd8.org.

NikoC
January 31st, 2012, 09:39 AM
This (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/12/how-to-make-ubuntu-11-10-look-and-feel-like-gnome-2/) might help you out...