PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] usb gps dongle navigation

Martinizhr
January 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Hy, can anyone help me with installing ANY navigation system on my laptop. I bought usb dongle gt-730f http://www.canmore.com.tw/productshow.php?selectub=&product_number=11&secondkidnumber=1&secondkidname=GPS%20USB%20Dongle&mainkidnumber=1&mainkidname=

and I learned how to connect to it (using gpsd) but I can't find any good program to run it on. I have tried
navi(instalation folder is empty and can't find navi.xml....)
foxrotGPS(works but I can't make route...)
and others...
I have problem of finding program to work in witch I can set a route and that it is navigating me in the city. Like garmin, but on laptop. Does anyone know anything that can help me please, It is making me nuts for over a week.

p.s. I'm using Ubuntu 11.10

Martinizhr
January 30th, 2012, 11:34 PM
bump :)

clevetbs
July 10th, 2012, 01:19 PM
I used virtual box installed windows and use iguiance gps software to navigate, I myself cant find a good gps program under linux. but there are cars out there with backend linux gps navigation system. i dont see why they cant port it for us lol.

Cheesehead
July 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Hy, can anyone help me with installing ANY navigation system on my laptop.

Have you looked in the Software Center?

$ apt-cache search gps | grep navig
gpsdrive - Car navigation system
gpsdrive-data - Car navigation system
navit - Car navigation system with routing engine
navit-data - Car navigation system with routing engine - data files
navit-graphics-gtk-drawing-area - Car navigation system with routing engine - GTK+ graphic plugin
navit-graphics-qt-qpainter - Car navigation system with routing engine - Qt graphic plugin
navit-gui-gtk - Car navigation system with routing engine - GTK+ GUI
navit-gui-internal - Car navigation system with routing engine - internal GUI

I found two in the Ubuntu repos: gpsdrive and navit.