PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Support Pages Collection (Data Base)

jerrrys
January 30th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I started an Ubuntu references & resources collection about three years ago and have maintained it since.

Recently I completed a reorganization of this collection. Out with the old (gnome2) and in with the new (gnome3). And I thought that while its in such good shape that I would offer it to the community, if anyone has an interests in such things. Its not perfect, but its as close as it gets. Maintenance is always an on going process. To get an idea of whats covered:

I use Zotero as a collection manager and it will be necessary to download this program (3.5MB) in order to use my collection.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Zotero

http://www.zotero.org/

The data download is a 240M tar.gz. After installation 610M of space will be used.

Download site:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60050551/zotero_Ubuntu_Edition_5.tar.gz

Instructions:

Place the tar.gz in your (home) /.mozilla/firefox/*.default and extract. Then download Zotero.

If you have already downloaded Zotero, simply delete the installed "zotero" folder and replace with the tar.gz.

If this is not a fresh install of Zotero and you have data already stored in it; then do not delete this folder.

Elfy
January 30th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Thread moved to The Community Cafe.

Looks useful :)

FuturePilot
January 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Please do. This looks very useful.

FuturePilot
January 31st, 2012, 08:53 AM
Can you re-upload but close Firefox before taring up the directory? The sqlite database is corrupted because it was still being written to.

Elfy
January 31st, 2012, 09:03 AM
Mine's ok here, once I found a version of zotero that worked with this f/f version

Thanks jerrys :)

grahammechanical
January 31st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Wow! If I understand what you have done, then I say: WoW!

One of the issues with searching these forums and a site like Askubuntu for already given answers, is that people often phrase the question wrong. They often do not write the heading as a question.

Imagine the results from a search on "newbie" or "help" or "help, please" Change that to "help pleeze!!!!" And would it solve the searcher's problem?

What you have created is on a different scale altogether. I am bookmarking so that I can add your collection later.

Regards and well done.

jerrrys
January 31st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Can you re-upload but close Firefox before taring up the directory? The sqlite database is corrupted because it was still being written to.

Oops, I'll do just that and post back later today. Really still want to find a faster site, going to do some looking around. Thanks

piskie: Don't know why that is. I have use this app on ff3 thru 9 without issue. Probally like FuturePilot said; if i would of copied it right in the first place. :rolleyes:

And Graham: Thanks. you may want to hold off till I find a better site.

Elfy
January 31st, 2012, 08:50 PM
piskie: Don't know why that is. I have use this app on ff3 thru 9 without issue. Probally like FuturePilot said; if i would of copied it right in the first place. :rolleyes: f/f 10 in Pangolin - I got the zotero v3 - works fine with that :)

BrokenKingpin
January 31st, 2012, 11:09 PM
Can someone explain what this is exactly? Just saying a "Ubuntu Collection" is not that clear.

jerrrys
January 31st, 2012, 11:44 PM
Can someone explain what this is exactly? Just saying a "Ubuntu Collection" is not that clear.

Yes, it is lacking. Maybe next time forestpiskie is around, he will fix that.

This is basically a collection of web pages that apply to ubuntu. A quick way to look up solutions either on or off line.

And forestpiskie: Your one up on me, Im running 2.x

FuturePilot: Got a new copy up and will change my above link and I checked processes to make sure sqlite was shut down.

rudihawk
February 1st, 2012, 08:40 AM
I'll definitely be checking this out! Thanks man.

Elfy
February 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM
Yes, it is lacking. Maybe next time forestpiskie is around, he will fix that.

He did - but it's early and he's only had one cuppa - so if you want it to be called something else PM me or put it in here and I will oblige.

jerrrys
February 1st, 2012, 05:51 PM
I'll definitely be checking this out! Thanks man.

Hope you find it useful rudi

And yet again thank you forestpiskie

Coldraven & Hydrathe: Yes its BROKE AGAIN. Woofiles BITES. Again, later today I will repost a new download link from a new site. Sorry everyone

Dry Lips
February 1st, 2012, 06:12 PM
I'm bookmarking this thread as well!

Dry Lips
February 1st, 2012, 06:43 PM
So you already have a dropbox account?

If anyone is interested my referral link is: http://db.tt/zagwui8
(gives you 250 mb extra upon registering and installing the client.)

Dry Lips
February 1st, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks jerrrys! I'm downloading the archive right now! :)

Elfy
February 2nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
some posts deleted and/or merged