PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Stick with Gnome Classic?

mayur.shetye
January 30th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed on my PC.I have used Gnome classic,Gnome 3 and Unity since initially Unity was too slow. But now after using ccsm Unity has become quite fast. But still it is slow compared to Gnome classic. So I would like to know if using Gnome classic now is going to cause me any problems in future ... like support issues or anything else.

Frogs Hair
January 30th, 2012, 06:01 PM
The subject has been discussed here before . http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1854333

ColdnitroX
January 30th, 2012, 06:11 PM
If you still want to use Ubuntu Classic (or GNOME2), consider using MATE, a GNOME 2 fork. It's pretty stable now, and mostly compatible with GNOME 3 and Unity. You can use all three on the same system and it still works pretty well. Get MATE at http://mate-desktop.org, and you will get the Ubuntu Classic experience, mostly... :D.

mayur.shetye
January 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Thank you guys :)

tlcstat
January 30th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Greetings,
Ubuntu Maverick and Classic Gnome2 was rockin fast [probably the fastest system I've ever used]. I used it almost a week before switching to Natty and now Oneiric. Somehow fast got lost in the quest for functionality. But it may be worth a take-a-look. Even though an install will be necessary.
tlcstat

Myrddin Emrys
January 30th, 2012, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't do a new install of Maverick now - support (including security fixes) ends in April. You could use the 10.04 LTS for another year, or use an up to date version with MATE as suggested above - 11.10 + MATE is really quick!

tlcstat
January 30th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Greetings,
April! I was planning on using Pricise Pangolin in April. I think any discussion of speed and OS has to consider the machine. You can upgrade into slow. A larger kernel, a larger desktop, larger software, larger demands, equals more slow. I suggested Maverick because it used Gnome 2 and was super fast but I agree that Lucid Lynx might be the better option for a years support, and it will get rid of the heavier weight Oneiric.
As for myself I've never been happier in my life with Oneiric, Unity desktop and all. Great looks, great functionality, acceptable speed, everything I need.
tlcstat

mayur.shetye
January 31st, 2012, 01:10 PM
I have used Maverick before and it was lightning fast! But for some reasons I switched back to windows (was a mistake :p).Then last week I installed Oneiric and it was hard to deal with so many changes and sluggish performance.But now I am starting to like Unity 2d so I think I'll stick with it.Its hard to customise though for newbies like me :P