PDA

View Full Version : Dream House

nechus
January 30th, 2012, 02:50 PM
In the movie Dream House, with Daniel Craig, one of the characters (Jack, the bad guy) is checking his email. There's a closeup of the computer monitor, but I can't determine what OS he's using, or what email client.

See the attached pictures. Do you recognize it, or is it just a mockup?

Thanks!

werty2010
January 30th, 2012, 04:46 PM
+1
interesting, id like to know that as well

neu5eeCh
January 30th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I can't believe I'm posting on this, all but confirming my status not just as a poet, writer and builder, but as a geek willing to waste the precious minute of my life speculating on something that is completely stupid and vacuous.

The absence of buttons in the window borders makes me think it's a mock up. The panel at the bottom looks like it could either be Windows 2000 or Lubuntu. The network symbol, if that is what it is, lower right, looks linuxy rather than Windowish. Now leave me alone.

nechus
January 30th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Oh, please, VTPoet!!!! Pointless is beautiful, too!!! Don't you remember Charlie And The Chocolate Factory? Here's the dialogue in the elevator, when they are passing through the candy testing area:

Mike Teavee: Why is everything here completely pointless?

Charlie Bucket: Candy doesn’t have to have a point. That’s why it’s candy.

Seriously, thanks a lot for your help!! :D You're a good observer!!

Best.

neu5eeCh
January 30th, 2012, 08:51 PM
I guess the more interesting question to me is: Why bother with a mock up at all? I mean, I get that MS or Apple might not want their brand associated with a given movie (and there are trademark (?) issues a suppose), but Linux has none of those. Why not just use Linux in all its glory?

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 31st, 2012, 01:56 AM
There are no close, minimize, or maximize buttons, so I doubt it is Windows, OS-X, or Linux/Unix. I don't see a way of selecting workspaces, so I don't think it is Linux/Unix. There is no dock. I didn't see anything in the blurry image that looked like menus or a universal menu button. I don't think it is a real OS.

CharlesA
January 31st, 2012, 02:05 AM
Hollywood "movie magic"

hansdown
January 31st, 2012, 02:16 AM
I can't believe I'm posting on this, all but confirming my status not just as a poet, writer and builder, but as a geek willing to waste the precious minute of my life speculating on something that is completely stupid and vacuous.

The absence of buttons in the window borders makes me think it's a mock up. The panel at the bottom looks like it could either be Windows 2000 or Lubuntu. The network symbol, if that is what it is, lower right, looks linuxy rather than Windowish. Now leave me alone.

The hallmark, of a good writer is, being able to choose the best time to use words, such as, vacuous.

Well chosen!

Noticed your sig should start with the word "you", not "your".

Old_Grey_Wolf
January 31st, 2012, 02:17 AM
I guess the more interesting question to me is: Why bother with a mock up at all? I mean, I get that MS or Apple might not want their brand associated with a given movie (and there are trademark (?) issues a suppose), but Linux has none of those. Why not just use Linux in all its glory?

It could be that the producer of the movie and the studio that released it is so concerned about protecting their intellectual property that they don't understand the concept of open-source. I would imagine that the concept of free-open-source would give them a brain hemorrhage.

Or maybe the producer doesn't what the movie to be an advertisement for any company, just because the producer doesn't like the principal of advertisement in movies.