PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Failed Ubuntu upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10

Nikkhil
January 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I was using 11.04 for quite some time. Recently I decided to upgrade to 11.10 when the Ubuntu upgrade dialog box started popping up. The upgrade manager downloaded required packages and started upgrading the packages. Machine inadvertently got switched off when last 11 minutes were left to complete upgraded. Now when I try starting Ubuntu the following (possibly scrambled) message is shown after the usual Ubuntu 11.04 boot-up screen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ubuntu 11.04
....*Starting bluetooth [OK]
*PulseAudio configured for per-user sessions
Ubuntu 11.04saned disabled; edit /etc/default/s
aned
Rather than invoking init scri....*Checking battery state...[OK]
uti
lity,e.g. service S90binfmt-support start

Since the script you are attempting to
invoke has been converted to an
Upstart job, you may also use the start( 8 ) utili
ty, e.g. start S90binfmt-support
Start: Unknown job:S90binfmt-support
*Starting web server apache2 [OK}
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have dual installation (Windows as the primary and Ubuntu secondary OS). I'm able to start Ubuntu in recovery mode. Wondering if using commands I can finish the upgrade and start using 11.10 (or in worst case 11.04) without loosing my data.

darkod
January 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Are we talking about a laptop? How can a machine simply switch off?

Anyway, all unconfigured packages which were downloaded should be able to finish up with:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Nikkhil
January 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
are we talking about a laptop? How can a machine simply switch off?

Anyway, all unconfigured packages which were downloaded should be able to finish up with:

Sudo dpkg --configure -a

:p Many thanks!!! Worked for me!