PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] SD card installation help

Silberschrei
January 29th, 2012, 11:16 AM
I was trying to install ubuntu on my main pc, being a new user to ubuntu I messed it up. I in6stalled ubuntu within my windows 7 64 bit, and was trying to do a full install of ubuntu over my windows, in the middle of my installation it erorred stating that a partition on my computer couldn't be writtin over, then it froze. I can't find my usb stick, and the only thing I have right now is a mini sd card, 8gb. I deleted my operating system on my main pc,because I had to do a forceful shut off of the laptop. I need to know if I can create a bootable sd card with ubuntu on it to install the os on my computer. Is this at all possible? or should I go and buy a new usb stick? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated =]

darkod
January 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM
You should be able to create a bootable sd card although I have never tried it.

Silberschrei
January 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
You should be able to create a bootable sd card although I have never tried it.

That's what I am hoping on, using my wife's netbook to do it though, taking a bit but I am hoping I can rescue it.

satanselbow
January 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
SDcard boot is rarely supported in the bios - so check before you commit to anything ;)

If your miniSD is in a usb converter it will be recognised as a usb flash drive - it is only SDcard slots that present a problem ;)

darkod
January 29th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I hate stating the obvious, but before installing you should always have ubuntu cd or ubuntu usb stick and keep it at hand later for any rescue operations.

The best way to install is using a cd or usb stick and boot from it.

Silberschrei
January 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM
SDcard boot is rarely supported in the bios - so check before you commit to anything ;)

If your miniSD is in a usb converter it will be recognised as a usb flash drive - it is only SDcard slots that present a problem ;)

No luck on installing from the sd card, no bios support, and I don't have a converter, probably going to go and get a usb tomorrow and try this again, that's the only way I can see it working unless I can find my usb stick. Should have had it ready and put on a usb to begin with haha.

**Edit** I found my usb stick, so now I can get this done! Thank you all =]