PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] misplaced data?

jord1981
January 29th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I have an Ubuntu 11.10 installation that recently stopped booting to the GUI. I couldn't figure out how to fix it so I used the installation disc to try to get back on track. I chose 'upgrade from 11.10 to 11.10' in order to save ny files. My home folder remains as it was but my /var/www folder (where I had spent a lot of time coding a website) is gone. Is it possible that this data has just been moved/hidden or is it lost?

varunendra
January 29th, 2012, 03:23 PM
AFAIK, 'upgrading' won't move any files/folders. So if it is not there, it most probably is gone :(

Try testdisk/photorec (in a live session to avoid further writing on the partition) to see if it can find something. If that directory is really important to you, I would suggest to STOP using the installed Ubuntu, since each booting attempt will increase the chances of the files being overwritten (which might otherwise be recovered with tools like testdisk).

jord1981
January 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM
I don't have test disk on my live cd, nor do I have internet access there. Suggestions?

varunendra
January 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I don't have test disk on my live cd, nor do I have internet access there. Suggestions?
Yeah, just download its .deb package from here (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/testdisk) on some other computer, copy it to a USB drive, then install it from there when booted in a live session.

PS: you may have to download the dependencies as well, following the same page.