PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Xubuntu. I need it for comparing it to Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity.

pretty_whistle
January 28th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I have Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity right now but I'd like some input so I can compare it to what I have now. I may switch if it looks good enough. :)

Also please tell me how long you've had Xubuntu.

neu5eeCh
January 29th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Hi Pretty, first, check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909569

I've been using Xubuntu since 11.04. The only cons, in my view, are

1.) Thunar rather than Nautilus.
2.) The desktop isn't managed by Thunar (which means no thumbnails on the desktop, just ugly little generic icons).
3.) Theming is fairly limited unless you're willing to tweak. Some install compiz and a Window Manager like Emerald (which meets with mixed success I've heard). Here's (http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes) a guide for how to manage themes in XFCE. It's a bit more complicated than gnome but, having said all this, it's much more themable than Unity.

Pros

1.) Metacity/XFWM4 just feels cleaner and snappier than compiz in Gnome. I bound the windowlist menu to the middle mouse button. I actually prefer it to compiz's scale windows - the only feature from compiz that I actually used.
2.) Much, much, much more customizable than Unity.
3.) Intuitive drop down menus. Shortcut keys are easy to program. For my own purposes, Unity offers no advantages over XFCE in terms of efficiency.

rojaasensei
January 29th, 2012, 03:41 AM
Hi Pretty, first, check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1909569

I've been using Xubuntu since 11.04. The only cons, in my view, are

1.) Thunar rather than Nautilus.
2.) The desktop isn't managed by Thunar (which means no thumbnails on the desktop, just ugly little generic icons).
3.) Theming is fairly limited unless you're willing to tweak. Some install compiz and a Window Manager like Emerald (which meets with mixed success I've heard). Here's (http://wiki.xfce.org/howto/install_new_themes) a guide for how to manage themes in XFCE. It's a bit more complicated than gnome but, having said all this, it's much more themable than Unity.

Pros

1.) Metacity/XFWM4 just feels cleaner and snappier than compiz in Gnome. I bound the windowlist menu to the middle mouse button. I actually prefer it to compiz's scale windows - the only feature from compiz that I actually used.
2.) Much, much, much more customizable than Unity.
3.) Intuitive drop down menus. Shortcut keys are easy to program. For my own purposes, Unity offers no advantages over XFCE in terms of efficiency.

+1 A solid xfce user since 11.04 though I have tried KDE, LXDE, Gnome 3, and Unity (3D and 2D). I am back to Xubuntu to stay.

BrokenKingpin
January 29th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Pros
- Fast and Stable
- Easy to use and configure
- Built in compositor
- Gnome applications integrate well with it

Cons
- Hmmm, drawing a blank

I actually prefer Thunar over Nautilus. Nautilus has grown into a beast... Thunar is fast and has all the features I need.

cariboo
January 29th, 2012, 04:34 AM
Why not install it in vbox, and give a try yourself?

inobe
January 29th, 2012, 04:47 AM
cons, samba network browsing, additional app needed.

pyneighborhood didn't work at the time.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/25/browse-your-samba-shares-with-pyneighborhood/

pretty_whistle
January 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Why not install it in vbox, and give a try yourself?
Hmm... vbox it? Well... I'll try it but hope I can install vbox ok.

pretty_whistle
January 29th, 2012, 04:51 AM
I found vbox in Software Center. Good. Then that'll be easy. For a second there I was afraid it wouldn't be.

cariboo
January 29th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I found vbox in Software Center. Good. Then that'll be easy. For a second there I was afraid it wouldn't be.

I wouldn't have suggested it, if it was hard to install. :)

pretty_whistle
January 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Doesn't the Xubuntu iso have a "Try Xubuntu" option?

sffvba[e0rt
January 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Doesn't the Xubuntu iso have a "Try Xubuntu" option?

It has. (AFAIK... but sitting at work at the moment I feel a slight niggle of doubt now :p)

Elfy
January 29th, 2012, 03:41 PM
If it doesn't have a specific try option then it bootw to the lieve environment - it certainly doesn't assume you want to install.

As far as using nautilus - you can use it, just run it as nautilus --no-desktop and it doesn't try to do anything other than be a file manager.

keithpeter
January 29th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hello pretty_whistle

As others have said, if you can download large files easily, the Xubuntu live CD would make a good way of testing out the features.

Xubuntu is a complete Ubuntu installation with enhanced functions over plain XFCE and some use of Gnome applications to provide easy access to functions. It uses the same repositories as Ubuntu, so you can install a wide range of software. Xubuntu was originally designed to provide a lighter alternative to Ubuntu but some argue that the memory savings are not so large with recent versions.

XFCE4.8 is a 'classic' graphical user interface that has an application menu and panels. It does not have to use 3d acceleration which makes it useful for hardware that is being 'left behind' by the swish new interfaces. The bottom panel has icons that launch common programs, but the behaviour is different from the Unity launcher. I have to admit, I usually delete the bottom panel and bring the top panel down and add a few launchers to that single panel.

I've been using XFCE on and off since (X)Ubuntu 6.06. I now use XFCE mainly on a USB bootable stick with puredyne 9.10, the music/media distribution.

pretty_whistle
January 29th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Hello pretty_whistle

As others have said, if you can download large files easily, the Xubuntu live CD would make a good way of testing out the features.

Xubuntu is a complete Ubuntu installation with enhanced functions over plain XFCE and some use of Gnome applications to provide easy access to functions. It uses the same repositories as Ubuntu, so you can install a wide range of software. Xubuntu was originally designed to provide a lighter alternative to Ubuntu but some argue that the memory savings are not so large with recent versions.

XFCE4.8 is a 'classic' graphical user interface that has an application menu and panels. It does not have to use 3d acceleration which makes it useful for hardware that is being 'left behind' by the swish new interfaces. The bottom panel has icons that launch common programs, but the behaviour is different from the Unity launcher. I have to admit, I usually delete the bottom panel and bring the top panel down and add a few launchers to that single panel.

I've been using XFCE on and off since (X)Ubuntu 6.06. I now use XFCE mainly on a USB bootable stick with puredyne 9.10, the music/media distribution.
Xubuntu live CD sounds good.

Warpnow
January 29th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Xubuntu was originally designed to provide a lighter alternative to Ubuntu but some argue that the memory savings are not so large with recent versions.

Yes, but regular ubuntu is increasing as well, so Xubuntu still has an advantage.

kurt18947
January 29th, 2012, 05:19 PM
If your primary objective is to get away from the 'new and improved' user interfaces, you could try installing Xfce via the Software Center or (my preference) Synaptic. it's certainly not a 'pure' Xfce environment but for me that has benefits. One example is indicator-keylock. It's a little app that shows when capslock, numlock or scroll-lock are depressed. This is real useful on wireless keyboards that don't have LED indicators. AFAIK Xfce doesn't have such an animal but I installed it in Ubuntu and it works in the Xfce desktop as well. I haven't looked at footprint but presumably running an Xfce desktop on Ubuntu offers no advantage in resource use over Ubuntu.

Warpnow
January 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
If your primary objective is to get away from the 'new and improved' user interfaces, you could try installing Xfce via the Software Center or (my preference) Synaptic. it's certainly not a 'pure' Xfce environment but for me that has benefits. One example is indicator-keylock. It's a little app that shows when capslock, numlock or scroll-lock are depressed. This is real useful on wireless keyboards that don't have LED indicators. AFAIK Xfce doesn't have such an animal but I installed it in Ubuntu and it works in the Xfce desktop as well. I haven't looked at footprint but presumably running an Xfce desktop on Ubuntu offers no advantage in resource use over Ubuntu.

There is a resource advantage to using XFCE in Ubuntu. Not as large as running pure XFCE, but still an advantage.

mips
January 29th, 2012, 06:29 PM
If you install xubuntu have a look at,
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/xubuntu
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/10/how-to-enable-ubuntus-global-menu-in-xubuntu-11-10/ Some people might like this, I don't.

neu5eeCh
January 29th, 2012, 06:32 PM
You know, if you decide you don't like XFCE, one of the (in my opinion) most usable promising alternative DEs is Cinnamon (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcinnamon.linuxmint.com%2F&ei=MoElT8PLG4HB0QHIw4mDCQ&usg=AFQjCNFe0MsR9F66647_BhLU6qeOHJVjIw), built on Gnome with all the attendant benefits (if you seem them as such) of Gnome (as opposed to Gnome Shell). It uses the more efficient drop down menu (IMHO) like Gnome 2 and XFCE, encourages you to customize your desktop how you want it, and just released a stable version. :popcorn:

vasa1
January 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM
You know, if you decide you don't like XFCE, one of the (in my opinion) most usable promising alternative DEs is ...Cinnamon...
Is it as light as XFCE? Is it as tested as XFCE?

urukrama
January 29th, 2012, 07:26 PM
cons, samba network browsing, additional app needed.

Since Xfce 4.8, Thunar can browse samba network shares.

neu5eeCh
January 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Is it as light as XFCE? Is it as tested as XFCE?

Probably No. No.

Edit: Bear in mind that Cinnamon is just a Shell, so when you ask whether it's as tested as XFCE, that depends on what you're referring to. In terms of Gnome, it's just as tested, if not more so. In terms of the Shell, no. It's new.

Warpnow
January 30th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Alot of people migrated to XFCE after gnome 2 "died". In my opinion, though, XFCE has always been superior to Gnome 2. Gnome 2, however, had more developer support and a much larger base. XFCE is a much more simple and complete project. You can download all the XFCE packages and compile them yourself very easily, compiling gnome is on the other hand, very annoying and time consuming. XFCE is also alot more modular. You can take out the pieces you don't like and replace them with others quite easily. The setting panel in XFCE is also very simple and its all in one place.

pretty_whistle
January 30th, 2012, 01:24 AM
Well, I tried the "try xubuntu" option. Everything looks fine except the built-in mic wasn't working.

neu5eeCh
January 30th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Well, I tried the "try xubuntu" option. Everything looks fine except the built-in mic wasn't working.

Does it work with other Linux Distros? My internal mic has *never* worked with any distribution I've used. I've always assumed it was a kernel issue, not a question of which distro I used.

If you google a solution, you willl either fix it very quickly, or you will descend into an extra-dimensional rabbit hole from which you will never return.

pretty_whistle
January 30th, 2012, 02:33 AM
Does it work with other Linux Distros? My internal mic has *never* worked with any distribution I've used. I've always assumed it was a kernel issue, not a question of which distro I used.

If you google a solution, you willl either fix it very quickly, or you will descend into an extra-dimensional rabbit hole from which you will never return.
Hahaha, rabbit hole. :)

My mic works on ubuntu 11.04 (the one i have now).

VanceVEP72
January 30th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Probably No. No.

Edit: Bear in mind that Cinnamon is just a Shell, so when you ask whether it's as tested as XFCE, that depends on what you're referring to. In terms of Gnome, it's just as tested, if not more so. In terms of the Shell, no. It's new.

I have installed and tried Cinnamon 1.2 on my Ubuntu 11.10 installation. The ONLY thing I like about it is the Main Menu. I don't care for the panel or anything else. I'm sure a lot of Cinnamon's drawbacks will be due to it being a fork of Gnome Shell. Plus, it's still in its early stages, so I will be keeping an eye on it to see how it changes as time passes.

After seeing where Canonical is taking Unity for 12.04 and beyond, I find that it just doesn't mesh with why I use a PC. I have an iPad2 if I want to use a tablet interface. At this moment, I am downloading the Xubuntu .iso and will most likely switch to it as my main DE.

Now.. getting back to Pros and Cons of Xubuntu/Xfce... From my past use of Xubuntu 11.10, I found it confusing not having the same programs as in Gnome 2. CTRL+ALT+T doesn't open my terminal which drove me nuts. I found that some instructions found on Ubuntu sites had to be modified due to Xfce using Leafpad. Other than that, I really like Xubuntu because it doesn't feel as locked down as Ubuntu, looks a LOT better than Kubuntu (and doesn't have as weird program names) and isn't based on Gnome 3/Shell/whatever you want to call it.

Warpnow
January 30th, 2012, 03:03 AM
I have installed and tried Cinnamon 1.2 on my Ubuntu 11.10 installation. The ONLY thing I like about it is the Main Menu. I don't care for the panel or anything else. I'm sure a lot of Cinnamon's drawbacks will be due to it being a fork of Gnome Shell. Plus, it's still in its early stages, so I will be keeping an eye on it to see how it changes as time passes.

After seeing where Canonical is taking Unity for 12.04 and beyond, I find that it just doesn't mesh with why I use a PC. I have an iPad2 if I want to use a tablet interface. At this moment, I am downloading the Xubuntu .iso and will most likely switch to it as my main DE.

Now.. getting back to Pros and Cons of Xubuntu/Xfce... From my past use of Xubuntu 11.10, I found it confusing not having the same programs as in Gnome 2. CTRL+ALT+T doesn't open my terminal which drove me nuts. I found that some instructions found on Ubuntu sites had to be modified due to Xfce using Leafpad. Other than that, I really like Xubuntu because it doesn't feel as locked down as Ubuntu, looks a LOT better than Kubuntu (and doesn't have as weird program names) and isn't based on Gnome 3/Shell/whatever you want to call it.

If it used the same applications you'd lose alot of the speed and resource advantage.

neu5eeCh
January 30th, 2012, 04:36 AM
CTRL+ALT+T doesn't open my terminal which drove me nuts.

Yes, but that's a very simple thing to change in Xubuntu.

Settings --> Settings Manager -->Keyboard -->Application Shortcuts

I actually find it easier than gnome.

kurt18947
January 30th, 2012, 09:02 AM
--snip-- Now.. getting back to Pros and Cons of Xubuntu/Xfce... From my past use of Xubuntu 11.10, I found it confusing not having the same programs as in Gnome 2. CTRL+ALT+T doesn't open my terminal which drove me nuts. I found that some instructions found on Ubuntu sites had to be modified due to Xfce using Leafpad. Other than that, I really like Xubuntu because it doesn't feel as locked down as Ubuntu, looks a LOT better than Kubuntu (and doesn't have as weird program names) and isn't based on Gnome 3/Shell/whatever you want to call it.

Whether or not it's an advantage is debatable but adding Xfce to Ubuntu keeps Ubuntu's apps available. I haven't had an Xubuntu install for a while but I believe everything in Ubuntu's repositories is available so I assume you could remove Abiword & Gnumeric and install Libre Office for instance. Of course that may bring a bunch of gnome dependencies with it.

Bucky Ball
January 30th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Yea, you could just install Xfce4 from software centre and see what you think. Choose 'Xfce Session' from the 'Sessions' pop-up at boot.

All repos are available, you can swap whatever for whatever you like. If a repo is not available, just add it.

mips
January 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM
since xfce 4.8, thunar can browse samba network shares.

+1

pretty_whistle
January 30th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yea, you could just install Xfce4 from software centre and see what you think. Choose 'Xfce Session' from the 'Sessions' pop-up at boot.

All repos are available, you can swap whatever for whatever you like. If a repo is not available, just add it.
I'm curious, what would installing it result in? A theme change basically or something more?

philinux
January 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I'm curious, what would installing it result in? A theme change basically or something more?

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xfce

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2012, 01:41 AM

You would then be using the Xfce desktop environment (the one used by Xubuntu) rather than Unity or Gnome (or KDE for that matter). You can choose whichever you want from the 'Sessions' pop-up at log-in.

No Xubuntu applications would be installed, unlike installing Xubuntu-desktop to get Xfce DE, which would result in ALL apps from Xubuntu being installed at the same time, not just the DE.

pretty_whistle
January 31st, 2012, 03:45 AM
You would then be using the Xfce desktop environment (the one used by Xubuntu) rather than Unity or Gnome (or KDE for that matter). You can choose whichever you want from the 'Sessions' pop-up at log-in.

No Xubuntu applications would be installed, unlike installing Xubuntu-desktop to get Xfce DE, which would result in ALL apps from Xubuntu being installed at the same time, not just the DE.
Oh ok.

M1ke
January 31st, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm another Unity refugee considering his options for when 12.04 hits and want to clarify something here:

If I only install the xfce4 package instead of xubuntu-desktop, do I avoid installing all of Xubuntu's default apps and end up with the applications and funcionality I'm used to under Ubuntu, just with the XFCE desktop environment instead of Unity? If so, are there any compatability problems or theming issues I'm likely to run in to that way?

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2012, 05:00 PM
If I only install the xfce4 package instead of xubuntu-desktop, do I avoid installing all of Xubuntu's default apps and end up with the applications and funcionality I'm used to under Ubuntu, just with the XFCE desktop environment instead of Unity? If so, are there any compatability problems or theming issues I'm likely to run in to that way?

The first part is what mastablasta and I said. You will only get the desktop environment, NOT xubuntu apps.

To answer the second part maybe try it and find out, unless someone can provide detailed possibilities, and they would depend on your specific configuration of Ubuntu (apps and packages already installed). I have never had any problems.

Simplest: Install Xfce4 (Synaptics or Software Centre), log out, choose 'Xfce Session' from the pop-up 'Sessions' menu, log-in. Done.

pretty_whistle
January 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
About Xfce4:

I looked in Software Center but it's not there and here's what's in Synaptic:

Xfce4
Meta-package for the Xfce Lightweight Desktop Environment

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for unix-like operating systems.
It aims to be fast and lightweight, while still being visually appealing and
easy to use. Designed for productivity, it loads and executes applications
fast, while conserving system resources.

This package is a metapackage; it depends on the core packages of the
Xfce4 desktop environment and recommends some extra Xfce4 packages. If you
intend to use Xfce4 and want the full experience then installing this
package and the packages it Recommends is a great place to start.
If you just want to pick and choose the core components then feel free to
remove this package.

This sounds like I'd get the packages with it, or is that just me?

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2012, 06:09 PM
Not the Xubuntu packages, just the packages the Xfce DE needs to run. ;)

pretty_whistle
January 31st, 2012, 06:17 PM
Not the Xubuntu packages, just the packages the Xfce DE needs to run. ;)
Ok.

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Is Xubuntu-Desktop in the software center? If you were going to do a full installation of Xubuntu, there's really no reason to not just install the whole Xubuntu-Desktop, unless you're running out of hard drive space.

Bucky Ball
January 31st, 2012, 06:31 PM
Not sure if you've read the rest of this thread forrestcupp but that is exactly what people have been attempting to avoid! Wanting to try Xfce desktop environment on an existing Ubuntu install to see if they are going to like it without installing all apps and packages of xubuntu-desktop.

forrestcupp
January 31st, 2012, 11:27 PM
Not sure if you've read the rest of this thread forrestcupp but that is exactly what people have been attempting to avoid! Wanting to try Xfce desktop environment on an existing Ubuntu install to see if they are going to like it without installing all apps and packages of xubuntu-desktop.

I saw that, but hard drive space is more abundant than water these days, so I don't really see the point in going to a lot of trouble to keep from installing the apps. Unless, like I said, you happen to be short on hard drive space.

neu5eeCh
January 31st, 2012, 11:31 PM

A lot of apps are shared by Unity and XFCE desktop. I wouldn't worry about the few apps that XFCE desktop will add. The one compatibility problem you may end up with is the battle over your desktop between XFCE & Nautilus. This can be a PITA.

Here are some detailed instructions for reining in Nautilus (I think they're originally from Toz?):

In Xfce4 Settings Manager>>Session and Startup>>Session, set Nautilus>>Restart Style to "Never" and then kill Nautilus. While you're there, do the same to Thunar since you'll be using it infrequently and I haven't noticed any dramatic speed decrease from not having the daemon running.

Now run the following 2 commands in a terminal...
Code:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &

Code:

gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &

You can now start Nautilus normally and it won't take over. Do so to get the daemon running and then log out and "Save session for future logins". Nautilus takes a second to open the first time you use it in a session, it's about as fast as Thunar after that.

You can undo the gconf commands by substituting the word false with true.

SemiExpert
January 31st, 2012, 11:48 PM
XFCE has come a very long way, but if a system can support Unity, it's my preferred solution. I'm used to Nautilus, and while I liked certain aspects of Xubuntu, such as the Parole music player, it just didn't feel quite as complete to me. If I was using an older PC that defaulted to Ubuntu 2D, I might feel differently. I love the drop downs in XFCE, but ClassicMenu Indicator accomplishes the same thing in Unity. The big thing is that Unity conserves screen real estate in the most effective way I've seen to date. I wasn't a Unity believer in 10.10, I remained a Gnome 2.32 holdout in 11.04, I was converted in 11.10 with LightDM and I can't wait to shift to 12.04. So, I guess Mark Shuttleworth was right about Unity all along. It just took a while.

M1ke
February 1st, 2012, 12:25 AM
Here are some detailed instructions for reining in Nautilus (I think they're originally from Toz?):

Great advice, thank you!

I spent a while today installing and looking around Xubuntu in a virtual machine and I think it'll meet all my needs when it's time to upgrade. Thunar was the only area I felt it was lacking a little being so accustomed to nautilus, but if the steps you provided would allow me to install and use nautilus without too many conflicts I think it might be the way I go.

Thanks again!

So, I guess Mark Shuttleworth was right about Unity all along. It just took a while.

Glad you're pleased with it! Personally I feel as though I've given Unity a fair shout (my dabbling has been with 11.10 rather than prior versions) and it's just not for me. It's great that I have that choice though - I can just switch to Xfce and be on my merry way.

kurt18947
February 1st, 2012, 12:39 AM
...snip... I wasn't a Unity believer in 10.10, I remained a Gnome 2.32 holdout in 11.04, I was converted in 11.10 with LightDM and I can't wait to shift to 12.04. So, I guess Mark Shuttleworth was right about Unity all along. It just took a while. I believe both Unity and Gnome-shell improved a good bit from 11.04 to 11.10. I know people say they don't care about conserving desktop real estate with large desktop monitors but in addition to saving real estate, Unity and Shell also reduce screen clutter which I like. Extensions for Shell make up for many of the usability shortcomings out-of-the-box and installing via a browser is the slickest thing I've seen in a while. I use either tint2 or the frippery bottom panel. I'm not crazy about the graphics of the frippery extension but it does have a desktop switcher on the right side. One click for desktop, places, switching workspaces, it's getting better. Unity & shell still don't have the easy configuration of gnome 2 though. Of course, one can open an Xfce session, change hardware configurations there and log back into shell. Window manager settings don't stick but hardware settings e.g. printer settings do.

neu5eeCh
February 1st, 2012, 03:23 AM
The big thing is that Unity conserves screen real estate in the most effective way I've seen to date.

If you don't customizing, then yes, but with a little customizing I do better with XFCE.

For instance, I autohide the XFCE panel (which I mostly don't use) and use Cairo dock on the right side of my screen. With just that I've equaled the best that Unity can do. If I really want the space, I've set "No Borders" to SuperKey+Space (better than F11). That betters Unity with browsers and is just as good with every other app I try. If one could customize Unity to the same degree, then maybe... but Unity is designed to be non-customizable.

pretty_whistle
February 1st, 2012, 04:53 AM
Done.

Just installed XFCE and buckyball was right-it didn't give me its programs.

Cool.

Bucky Ball
February 1st, 2012, 11:02 AM
Question is ... how do you like it? Try playing around with configuration and setting up some keyboard shortcuts. You will find it rocks, but then, I'm bias!

Finally, after 51 posts, we get there! :)

pretty_whistle
February 1st, 2012, 03:38 PM
Question is ... how do you like it? Try playing around with configuration and setting up some keyboard shortcuts. You will find it rocks, but then, I'm bias!

Finally, after 51 posts, we get there! :)
Yea, finally.
:) Lol.

carrozza
March 9th, 2012, 08:05 AM
If you don't customizing, then yes, but with a little customizing I do better with XFCE.

For instance, I autohide the XFCE panel (which I mostly don't use) and use Cairo dock on the right side of my screen. With just that I've equaled the best that Unity can do. If I really want the space, I've set "No Borders" to SuperKey+Space (better than F11). That betters Unity with browsers and is just as good with every other app I try. If one could customize Unity to the same degree, then maybe... but Unity is designed to be non-customizable.

Hi VTPoet, I tried to reproduce your suggestion of SuperKey+Space = "No Borders" but didn't get there.
Could you please post more detailed instructions on how to achieve this result?
Thanks a lot!