PDA

View Full Version : Always wanted to learn to code?

sffvba[e0rt
January 28th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Just read about Codeacademy (http://www.codecademy.com) in a local newspaper... an interesting idea to help people understand the basics of programming.

I am giving it a go to see how it is.

markyb73
January 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I've signed up to this, i think the first 3 lessions have been posted, when i get round to doing them :)

F.G.
January 28th, 2012, 11:43 AM
i like the look of this, I did an interactive Ruby tutorial not so long ago and found it a good start. i'm going to give it a go, i think it might be fun.

sffvba[e0rt
January 28th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I see the selection is a bit limit at the moment... but with the backing and money being pushed into this I am sure it will be picking up steam soon (Need to get into some Python myself)...

odiseo77
January 28th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Just took the first interactive lesson (the example lesson), and looks interesting. Would like to learn to code some, but I'm not good enough with maths.

(I'll check it out better later, since I'm at work right now).

Newton2525
January 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Certainly appeals to me! JavaScript is better than no script :) How much experience would one need to begin? What does it help to know before one tries to learn this? I sat down and learned some HTML through the web a number of years ago, but other than switching to Ubuntu and doing some very basic partitioning, my skills are pretty limited. I'm taking some Accounting courses right now, so it'll be a few months before I can look more at the site.

Thanks for bringing it up!

JDShu
January 28th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I signed up for the new year resolution thing. It's important to know JavaScript because it's the only language understood by web browsers.

haqking
January 28th, 2012, 04:52 PM
It's important to know JavaScript because it's the only language understood by web browsers.

apart from PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, Perl, ASP, Python, and JSP, HTML, XHTML, CSS, and XML to name a few of course ;-)

DangerOnTheRanger
January 28th, 2012, 05:24 PM
apart from PHP, ASP.NET, Ruby on Rails, Perl, ASP, Python, and JSP, HTML, XHTML, CSS, and XML to name a few of course ;-)

Except for those last four, all of those are server-side languages - the web browser doesn't even know a program is being run on the server; it just receives the program's output, a web page.

haqking
January 28th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Except for those last four, all of those are server-side languages - the web browser doesn't even know a program is being run on the server; it just receives the program's output, a web page.

yeah thats true, i misinterpreted the statement.

JDShu
January 29th, 2012, 01:38 AM

And to cover my bases, XML is not a programming language. XHTML is, AFAIK, not Turing complete (in the colloquial sense). I believe that HTML5 + CSS3 is technically Turing complete, but from what I understand, it's pretty difficult to write applications with it and it's not common yet.

There are also languages that compile into Javascript, famously Dart and CoffeeScript that I guess you could learn instead, but at this stage you probably want to know Javascript anyway because that's what your web browser interprets in the end.

jorpoveda
January 29th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Just read about Codeacademy (http://www.codecademy.com) in a local newspaper... an interesting idea to help people understand the basics of programming.

I am giving it a go to see how it is.

This is really cool as I am a Computer Science student and this resource to learn some coding from a different source is interesting. It is always good to learn from other than your teachers, books and webpages can be really good starting points when learning something new.